M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Squealing Brakes...

03-04-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Squealing Brakes...

My 2020 M8 only has 3,500 miles.
Still under warranty until July 2024.
Brakes now squeals pretty loudly.
Went to local BMW dealership, advisor took it for a drive only, no mechanic looked at it, & states that it's normal, that all M8's does it.
Doesn't sound right.
What are your experieced owners thoughts?
Should I take it back to another dealership to insist a mechanic look at it again, & possible fix under warranty?
Squealing noise is driving nuts...
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:57 PM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I hate when a tech says that; its normal.

While it can occur due to coast braking, if you do a proper burnishing of the brakes early on you can eliminate almost all that dreaded glaze causing squeals.

Not sure with 3500 if you can still burnish them but why not try?

I am on my 2nd M8 and no issues due to what I did with my new Coupe but also with my 2020 GC which had 1700 miles when I bought it; I burnished the fuck out the brakes.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-04-2024, 04:48 PM   #3
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Have them chamfer the edges of the brake pads. Should solve it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 05:54 PM   #4
italian926
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

You don't even drive the car, what's the problem

��
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:01 PM   #5
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

The little ol lady who only drove it to church on Sundays comes to mind, but the reference probably wouldn't work with the younger crowd.

In any event, yeah, super low miles there. You can also go to ceramic pads, lots of folks do it with various cars/brands. Not a cheap answer, but if it's driving you crazy it definitely works.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:08 PM   #6
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian926 View Post
You don't even drive the car, what's the problem

��
I just bought it last month, with 2,300 miles on it.
Drove the hell outta it for 1,200 miles this past month...
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      03-05-2024, 09:10 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
My 2020 M8 only has 3,500 miles.
Still under warranty until July 2024.
Brakes now squeals pretty loudly.
Went to local BMW dealership, advisor took it for a drive only, no mechanic looked at it, & states that it's normal, that all M8's does it.
Doesn't sound right.
What are your experieced owners thoughts?
Should I take it back to another dealership to insist a mechanic look at it again, & possible fix under warranty?
Squealing noise is driving nuts...
Thanks,
Might sound a bit daft…stick it in reverse and lightly use the brakes…..if there is anything stuck in there it may dislodge it.

Worth a try……
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 10:07 AM   #8
italian926
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
I just bought it last month, with 2,300 miles on it.
Drove the hell outta it for 1,200 miles this past month...

Oh ok hahahaa
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:54 PM   #9
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
This is a super common problem with M-Sport brakes across all models.

Mine are especially squeaky when it’s below 40 degrees. As others have said; try doing a few hard stops from a decent speed. This usually makes the squeaking go away temporarily.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 11:37 PM   #10
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
This is a super common problem with M-Sport brakes across all models.

Mine are especially squeaky when it’s below 40 degrees. As others have said; try doing a few hard stops from a decent speed. This usually makes the squeaking go away temporarily.
Yup, ive had 2 M5s with the same brakes, and multiple brake services, nothing works.

There is a few things that work temporarily but, good luck getting them to do anything about it under warranty. It's complete BS. Go over to the F90 M5 forum and see all the hell we deal with.

The only option is some aftermarket pads, but even then the squeal seems to come back. And the aftermarket pads are not cheap, and they're not great options either. Not to mention it's absolutely ridiculous to have to remove perfectly good OEM pads for aftermarket to get a squeal to go away, That comes back anyway.

I had 4 brand new OEM rotors and OEM pads installed about 6-8k miles ago, they were good until about a month ago. Squeal comes back. The was worse before the service, but silent for 6-7 months, then its back.

There are a few things you can try, but none of them work long term.

It doesnt seem to matter the climate. Ive had people say in Arizona (where im at) there is more dust and heat, and thats why they squeal. But then there is people in cold wet climates saying it also. There is hot and humid climates, same thing.

There doesnt seem to be a rhyme or reason. And it's a complete crap shoot if your car will do it at all. Some do it horribly, some dont do it at all. It's very odd.

They suggest 50-60-70MPH or so slam on the brakes all the way to 0, do this 3-4 times, and the squeal will go away for a little bit. But it always comes back for me. But it kind of works for like 1-5 days. LOL.
Appreciate 2
ledphut211.00
      03-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #11
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

On a old car I had way back I used to use "never seize " on the back of the pads. It did help but did need reapplied at some point to stop the squeal again.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 08:01 AM   #12
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
My favorite part is BMWNA claiming that it’s totally normal because “that’s what happens with high performance brakes.” Like we’re driving a McLaren Senna or something…
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 08:17 AM   #13
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

They will tell you the same thing over at Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:58 PM   #14
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i G70 & 2020 M8C F91

My M8 started squealing too! It's so embarrassing, especially at school pickup. Feels like everyone stares like I'm driving a bus or a garbage truck!
My dealer also said its "normal" and couldn't do anything about it.
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5212.00
      03-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #15
M8Bimmer
Rep

It's outrageous!
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5212.00
ChiefM36.00
      03-06-2024, 09:51 PM   #16
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
My M850 has made nary a peep in over 35,000 miles. Not once.

Same size big ass land yacht. Same weight. Same length. Same width. 86% of the horsepower of an M8. Never had trouble stopping from high speeds or staying on the road during spirited driving.

My 2 F90s drove me insane. Figure it out, BMW.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 07:20 AM   #17
RoccoVA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46M3,E60M5,F97X3M G87M2 F91M8

I have experienced this issue with my G87 M2. The brakes squeal like a trash truck. I have found that it mostly occurs if the weather outside is cold (40's and below) and if I haven't washed the vehicle in a while. Im not sure if built up brake dust contributes or not. Dealer also said it was due to the performance pads. Oddly enough my F97 X3M never made a single noise.

As far as a recommendation, Akebono makes ceramic pads that are silent and cut the brake dust down 95%. They may be a worthwhile investment if yours are particularly noisy, or constantly noisy.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 04:27 PM   #18
ChiefM
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA 4MATIC Sport

Garage List
2024 M850i  [0.00]
Master mechanic here. Still waiting on my 24 M850i to delivered. Have been a Porsche guy and Mercedes guy since my early 30s, before then was a poor Honda and Acura kid. Needless to say, I do all my own work. 2020 with 3500 miles? Ok let me brake this down.
The squealing you hear is one of 3 things. Foreign object (think small rock) between brake pad and rotor, the brake pad vibrating at high frequency, or a wear indicator. Let me explain the last two. When brake pads are installed all guide pins in floating calipers are lubricated, and anti squeal compound is applied to the back of the brake pads. The anti squeal is essentially a light glue, some manufacturers use shims and a soft backing on brake pads to prevent the use of anti squeal. These statements apply to the rear brakes of the 8 series. The front brakes are fixed 4 piston calipers. The brake pads come with adhesive on the back. This adhesive is effectively the anti squeal. Your car is 4 years old. Regardless of mileage, dirt, grime, salt all work their way in and unstick the pads. I am not saying the bmw tech is right, it’s not normal, but if these are original pads, hate to say it but yeah this is to be expected.
Another possibility is that the 8 series doesn’t have brake wear sensors on all 4 corners. This is a common cost cutting measure these days, even in high end cars. What this means is a brake pad is squealing because it’s about to ruin a rotor, on a wheel without a brake pad sensor.
Anyways, from a blue collar guy who ended up being more successful than he ever thought he would be, this is my advice to you.
Go to harbor freight, get a jack and some jack stands. Make friends with a mechanic and inspect your front and rear pads inboard and outboard pad on each wheel. If thickness is good on all four corners, feel your rotors from the inside of the machined face to the outside. It should feel smooth with no lip on the outside edge. If you grooves or waves, this points to a foreign object embedded in your brake pad. If all looks good, remove your rear calipers and grease the pins and apply anti squeal compound to the back of your brake pads. If you still have a squeal, replace your front brake pads as you can not apply anti squeal to them.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Last edited by ChiefM; 03-07-2024 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 04:39 PM   #19
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefM View Post
Master mechanic here. Still waiting on my 24 M850i to delivered. Have been a Porsche guy and Mercedes guy since my early 30s, before then was a poor Honda and Acura kid. Needless to say, I do all my own work. 2020 with 3500 miles? Ok let me brake this down.
The squealing you hear is one of 3 things. Foreign object (think small rock) between brake pad and rotor, the brake pad vibrating at high frequency, or a wear indicator. Let me explain the last two. When brake pads are installed all guide pins in floating calipers are lubricated, and anti squeal compound is applied to the back of the brake pads. The anti squeal is essentially a light glue, some manufacturers use shims and a soft backing on brake pads to prevent the use of anti squeal. These statements apply to the rear brakes of the 8 series. The front brakes are fixed 4 piston calipers. The brake pads come with adhesive on the back. This adhesive is effectively the anti squeal. Your car is 4 years old. Regardless of mileage, dirt, grime, salt all work their way in and unstick the pads. I am not saying the bmw tech is right, it’s not normal, but if these are original pads, hate to say it but yeah this is to be expected.
Another possibility is that the 8 series doesn’t have brake wear sensors on all 4 corners. This is a common cost cutting measure these days, even in high end cars. What this means is a brake pad is squealing because it’s about to ruin a rotor, on a wheel without a brake pad sensor.
Anyways, from a blue collar guy who ended up being more successful than he ever thought he would be, this is my advice to you.
Go to harbor freight, get a jack and some jack stands. Make friends with a mechanic and inspect your front and rear pads inboard and outboard pad on each wheel. If thickness is good on all four corners, feel your rotors from the inside of the machined face to the outside. It should feel smooth with no lip on the outside edge. If you grooves or waves, this points to a foreign object embedded in your brake pad. If all looks good, remove your rear calipers and grease the pins and apply anti squeal compound to the back of your brake pads. If you still have a squeal, replace your front brake pads as you can not apply anti squeal to them.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Ya I agree Chris, cuz it worked for me in the past. I used to re-apply the Anti Squeal ( we called it " Never Seize " ) at least once a summer on my Z Car with a big brake kit.
My expertise is pretty limited but it did the job for me on that car anyway. And it was a real squealer. The stuff dries out and gets pastier.
I'm sure BMW does at least this when servicing the brakes ???
Appreciate 2
ChiefM36.00
      03-07-2024, 04:50 PM   #20
ChiefM
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA 4MATIC Sport

Garage List
2024 M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Ya I agree Chris, cuz it worked for me in the past. I used to re-apply the Anti Squeal ( we called it " Never Seize " ) at least once a summer on my Z Car with a big brake kit.
My expertise is pretty limited but it did the job for me on that car anyway. And it was a real squealer. The stuff dries out and gets pastier.
I'm sure BMW does at least this when servicing the brakes ???
I can’t speak for bmw techs, I am career military, still in as a senior maintenance officer, that being said, the military doesn’t give a damn about comfort or squealing. In my previous life, if I did a brake job that came back squealing, it came out of my pocket. If I was a BMW tech doing a brake job I would be applying “never 🤧”🤣 (anti squeal) and checking fixed calipers for proper adhesive to the caliper pistons. The maintenance world on the civilian side from my experience is cut throat. If you mess a job up, you are paying for it and redoing the work for free. I can say with confidence, any good BMW tech would do whatever he or she could to prevent a comeback and use cheap insurance such as anti squeal, lubing guide pins and checking the adhesive on fixed calipers.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 05:37 PM   #21
M8Bimmer
Rep

I've wondered before if this would help.
Take each pad and do this.
On the metal back side where the pistons touch and push the pad, cut small groves in the metal. Take an angle grinder with a thinner disk on it and cut grooves. Not too deep. In some type of pattern . Maybe ? this would help break up that contact between the piston and the backing plate of the disk.
I dunno? Seems like it could work.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 09:57 PM   #22
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefM View Post
Master mechanic here…

Seeing as you don’t yet have a BMW in your possession yet, you would’ve saved yourself some time typing out all those paragraphs by doing a bit of research on the 2018-current M-Sport brakes.

The problem doesn’t have to do with any of the things you mentioned. It’s a well documented issue that most likely has to do with the brake pad compound BMW used. Similar to brand new carbon ceramics on certain hypercars; they squeak constantly. It seeems that it has more to do with the hardness quotient of the pads/rotors. People have simply replaced the pads and the squeaking stops.
Appreciate 2
wesleyan921408.00