M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Opinion Wanted: Sporty Car within 20K budget

09-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboIS View Post
The requirements are a little vague but if 2 seats are enough, a late model C5 Corvette meets all your criteria. Tons of cargo room if you opt for the non-Z06 body style. Now if you can live with a decent amount of cargo room, the C5 Z06 is a performance bargain!

(Admittedly though, a well maintained Z06 will cost north of 20K.)
Not a fan of that rear end on the car, but bang for the buck c5 vette is darn good. Also good platform for future mods if he wants and even with high miles it's got some resale.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #24
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
The only car I can think of that really stands out from the rest in terms of reliability is the Corvette...mostly because it's based on ancient yet bulletproof technology. Pushrod V8, leaf spring suspension...but still a nice car to drive, not to mention the timeless looks.
I wouldn't call the Corvette's technology "ancient" especially not the suspension. It's probably better designed for performance than any other mentioned besides maybe the Porsche. Double wishbones all around, camber/caster/toe adjustable at all corners and because of the transverse leafspring, you can lower it with some simple hand tools. Then you've got the rear mounted trans and front MR design...

If you really to get serious you have to move to coils but that's with any car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
If there is zero cost to replacing the unreliable factors in a car, it's not such a big deal.
So your time costs nothing then? Mine does.

Warranty coverage has no effect on the reliability of a car. None. When you're stuck by the side of the road, it's ok because it's covered by warranty, right? Not IMO. It takes the sting off the repair bill but the warranty has zero bearing on the reliability factor. Zero. Reliability and warranty coverage are two separate discussions.

The car is unreliable when compared to the industry standard. Period. No if's and's or but's about it. Sure the forum atmosphere blows things out of proportion, but the 335 is unreliable. It's made strides in the HPFP department, but there are many other components of these cars which fail regularly and sometimes alarmingly early with potentially severe consequences when they do (*cough* water pump *cough*).

So it is what it is. The 335 is a great car. It's just not reliable, but the greatness of the vehicle can easily outweigh the reliability problems for a lot of people. That's cool. But it's not reliable, warranty or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
I wouldn't call the Corvette's technology "ancient" especially not the suspension. It's probably better designed for performance than any other mentioned besides maybe the Porsche. Double wishbones all around, camber/caster/toe adjustable at all corners and because of the transverse leafspring, you can lower it with some simple hand tools. Then you've got the rear mounted trans and front MR design...

If you really to get serious you have to move to coils but that's with any car.
ZOMG leaf springs! Ox cart suspension LOLZ!!!! So tired of those who have no idea what's going on parroting stupid crap they saw on TV without first understanding the concept. Like you explained, and like many have tried to explain before, the implementation of the leaf spring within the suspension setup is anything but traditional and is nothing like the "ox cart" crap the ignorant like to make it out to be.

Last edited by ragingclue; 09-14-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0