M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Question for those with property in the boonies

11-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #67
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You are deluding yourself into a false sense of security in the burbs. Those nice people in the nice looking area often have a crackhead kid living in that nice, well manicured suburban home. They'll be in some therapist's office bitching about how he robs them blind but they love him too much to not bail him out, never mentioning how much he got from the neighbors.
My first thought would be to agree with this, however we live in a gated community back home. Definitely not worth what we have to pay in HOA fees and I live in a pretty lax one. That being said we have never had an issue with security even though anyone could really just walk past the gates at night since there is no guard at night, or jump the fence behind someones house.

However I am constantly reading on Nextdoor and Ring app about people having their cars being broken into to (usually because idiots leave them open), weird people checking house doors and forget about your Amazon package if it sits outside for more than 20 sec. We have never had an issue (knock on cyber wood) in the 9 years we have lived there. We have left on roads trips and had packages sit at my door for weeks before someone could come take them in with no problems.

Certainly no scientific study, but based on my personal experience being in a community has helped to some extent with security. I still have cameras all around the outside and Mr Mossy waiting inside.
Appreciate 1
Maynard4096.00
      11-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #68
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
To answer your original question, OP:

I probably live in a more rural location than anyone in this forum. My driveway is several miles long and my property backs the App. Trail.

My house sits at about 5,000ft on the top of a mountain bordering NC/TN. Now, having said all this - I have access to both sewer and water from the city. I rarely use it - since I have a river that I pull both water from and electricity via a water wheel.

Regarding your question about 'shanty towns' - most of those around where I live are either hunting cabins or simply poor people. We don't really have zoning out here, so it's not uncommon to see a nice large home right next to a trailer park and a Dollar General store. This is one of the many reasons I bought so much land. Since I own everything close to a square mile of real estate around my home - no one can really get near me.

Just the way I like it.

Also - for what it's worth - I was moved here from central Florida.
We go back on forth on this, more land or less land. Honestly I'm not looking to start a farm so really the only value the extra land provides us is privacy and maybe the ability to expand in the future, build a better house, huge garage etc.

Also found that just knowing the house has X acres means nothing. Half the time most of those acres are straight up a mountain at 90 degrees. WTF am I suppose to do with that? 5 acres my ballsack!

Actually now the gf is in love with this house that meets none of the criteria. It has basically no land, it's in the city limits so water and sewer, I MIGHT be able to get the up the driveway and parked in the back of the house but not sure yet. However it's a very cool looking 1920s house with all these neat details and stuff you don't see in modern homes and it's waaaaay below our budget... until you have to fix a 1920s house.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619171.00
      11-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #69
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
It sounds like you are not aligned on the goals. Acreage in the country, now a 1920s house in town. A 1920s house will be constant maintenance for either you or your new best friend, the local handyman/maintenance guy.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #70
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
It sounds like you are not aligned on the goals. Acreage in the country, now a 1920s house in town. A 1920s house will be constant maintenance for either you or your new best friend, the local handyman/maintenance guy.
Well to be fair when I say in town.... for us that's still the country. Several of the other properties with land are like 10 min away from this one. It's a country town... if there is such a thing.

But yeah I'm not in favor of a 1920s house, it's definitely cool though.
Appreciate 1
chassis7600.00
      11-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #71
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Most everything I would say has been said in this thread already. So just a couple of comments to add.

We lived somewhat remotely for about 8 years - narrow road, bluff over the river, 10 non-level acres. Loved being in the country, but it was a 40 minute round-trip to get a carton of milk. No pizza delivery. And in an emergency, pretty much on our own.

We considered buying a house on one of the Tennessee lakes (and a few other areas). One easy criteria we developed was to look at the nearest pizza place. What we discovered is if we were within about 15 minutes of pizza (even to pick up, no delivery), we also would be close enough to doctors, shopping, etc. If pizza was an hour away, everything really was too far. Easy enough to look on google maps for pizza, from the address of a property we were interested in.

We are at retirement age with some health problems and the diminishing driving skills that creep up, so these factors matter more to us than to younger folks. For us, thinking 10 years further into life, proximity mattered more than privacy.
Appreciate 5
      11-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #72
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post

We are at retirement age with some health problems and the diminishing driving skills that creep up, so these factors matter more to us than to younger folks. For us, thinking 10 years further into life, proximity mattered more than privacy.
This. While my wife and are fortunate to be in good health now we are looking a place where we will retire to and live full-time... until the kids put us in the nursing home! Proximity is a key factor for us. Doesn't sound like a top priority for the OP but something to think about when buying.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619171.00
      11-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #73
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Most everything I would say has been said in this thread already. So just a couple of comments to add.

We lived somewhat remotely for about 8 years - narrow road, bluff over the river, 10 non-level acres. Loved being in the country, but it was a 40 minute round-trip to get a carton of milk. No pizza delivery. And in an emergency, pretty much on our own.

We considered buying a house on one of the Tennessee lakes (and a few other areas). One easy criteria we developed was to look at the nearest pizza place. What we discovered is if we were within about 15 minutes of pizza (even to pick up, no delivery), we also would be close enough to doctors, shopping, etc. If pizza was an hour away, everything really was too far. Easy enough to look on google maps for pizza, from the address of a property we were interested in.

Totally, I think my definition of the "boonies" is probably a lot different than the people here who are from these areas. Everything we have looked at is within an hour or less of Asheville which is a major city. However they are all within like 30 minutes to a Walmart and Homedepot. Probably less if you'll settle for a Dollar General and ACE. While we are not of retirement age, we do have some minor medical issues and I'm certainly not going to be catching my own food so being close to some kind of civilization is important to us.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #74
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

South from Asheville has been really hot, prices are high and every listing we get is under contract within hours of hitting the market. North of town is bit less popular. Weaverville is a great little town. My folks place was in a development called Mountain Air with the closest town being Burnsville.

Last edited by kscarrol; 11-13-2020 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #75
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
South from Asheville has been really hot, prices are high and every listing we get is under contract within hours of hitting the market. North of town is bit less popular. Weaverville is a great little town. My folks place was in a development called Mountain Air with the closest town being Burnsville.
Most of our time so far has been spent in the eastern/south eastern parts (mainly because it's closer to where we are staying). We did check out Burnsville and while it was beautiful it was a bit more isolated than other places. Probably not 30 min to Walmart over there.

From the areas we have seen we really liked Rutherford County. It seems a good mix of country, but still lots of small towns with store etc. Once we leave this campground we may try to find one east of Asheville to check out that area. It's just too far for us right now since we are in Lenoir.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #76
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
My first thought would be to agree with this, however we live in a gated community back home. Definitely not worth what we have to pay in HOA fees and I live in a pretty lax one. That being said we have never had an issue with security even though anyone could really just walk past the gates at night since there is no guard at night, or jump the fence behind someones house.

However I am constantly reading on Nextdoor and Ring app about people having their cars being broken into to (usually because idiots leave them open), weird people checking house doors and forget about your Amazon package if it sits outside for more than 20 sec. We have never had an issue (knock on cyber wood) in the 9 years we have lived there. We have left on roads trips and had packages sit at my door for weeks before someone could come take them in with no problems.

Certainly no scientific study, but based on my personal experience being in a community has helped to some extent with security. I still have cameras all around the outside and Mr Mossy waiting inside.
We've been really fortunate to have had no incidents of burglary or vandalism. I think being 1/4 mile off the road and deep in the woods helps, as there's no "drive by" temptation. The other major factor is that we live in an area where virtually everyone hunts or at least has guns, including me. And the locals drink. A lot. All of that has a deterrent effect, I'm pretty sure. The idea of wandering down some long, dark, heavily wooded private driveway that might have one or more well-armed drunks at the other end of it is generally recognized as a bad idea by even the most doltish of ne'er-do-wells.

If someone were dumb or brave enough to wander down my driveway, one of the first things they'd see is a large "Smith & Wesson Authorized Dealer" sign (which I'm not, but I can buy a sign on eBay just like anyone else). One of the next things they'd see is several deer ribcages hanging from trees adjacent to the cabin. Those are for the Pileated woodpeckers to feed on, but they might put a scare into someone nonetheless.
      11-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #77
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a new situation we have encountered. Really nice house, on top of a hill, amazing views of the forest as far as the eye can see. The land that belongs to the owners of the property is only a bit less than 2 acres. Basically just the top of the hill where the house sits. Even the gravel driveway up to the house sits on someone else's land (they have an easement or something). Looks extremely private and isolated yet it's actually 20-30 minutes to several towns and pizza test said 17 minutes!

Now assuming this was your ideal property. Is it not of big concern that you are surrounded by someone elses land? They are huge lots and it seems only 2 other people own the land around the property but still. You don't even own the land to drive up to your land. Maybe it's normal here just seems crazy to me. So you would be concerned about this? Is it normal?
Appreciate 2
2000cs3763.00
      11-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #78
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a new situation we have encountered. Really nice house, on top of a hill, amazing views of the forest as far as the eye can see. The land that belongs to the owners of the property is only a bit less than 2 acres. Basically just the top of the hill where the house sits. Even the gravel driveway up to the house sits on someone else's land (they have an easement or something). Looks extremely private and isolated yet it's actually 20-30 minutes to several towns and pizza test said 17 minutes!

Now assuming this was your ideal property. Is it not of big concern that you are surrounded by someone elses land? They are huge lots and it seems only 2 other people own the land around the property but still. You don't even own the land to drive up to your land. Maybe it's normal here just seems crazy to me. So you would be concerned about this? Is it normal?
Sounds like a really nice place. That sort of easement is very commonplace. One of my neighbors has an easement to traverse my land about 1000' to get to his property. It saved him from cutting a whole separate 2000' driveway through some really dense woods. He's a nice guy and so am I, so there's never been a problem. We're great neighbors. I usually snow-blow the shared portion of the driveway, since I own it, but he's probably done it almost as many times as I have.

As long as the easement is permanent, it should be no problem. I'd be more concerned that you only have 2 acres and that's not much of a buffer. But if none of your neighbors use the parts of their land that abut yours, and they don't go out of their way to be assholes, you could be very happy there.
      11-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #79
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Sounds like a really nice place. That sort of easement is very commonplace. One of my neighbors has an easement to traverse my land about 1000' to get to his property. It saved him from cutting a whole separate 2000' driveway through some really dense woods. He's a nice guy and so am I, so there's never been a problem. We're great neighbors. I usually snow-blow the shared portion of the driveway, since I own it, but he's probably done it almost as many times as I have.

As long as the easement is permanent, it should be no problem. I'd be more concerned that you only have 2 acres and that's not much of a buffer. But if none of your neighbors use the parts of their land that abut yours, and they don't go out of their way to be assholes, you could be very happy there.
Yeah I guess that's our concern. Because what makes it so amazing is the views and privacy, but that's not in our control. The adjoining properties are like 40+ acre lots each sooo... you do have to be some serious asshole to build something next to this house... on a hill side... when you have 40 other acres to choose from. The actual properties on those lots are actually quite small, you can't even see them from the property. It also seems the current owners have owned it since 2007 and at least since then no one has built anything around it.

It's almost perfect and in our budget which worries me. If it's too good to be true... we'll see, still have a few properties to go see tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #80
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I guess that's our concern. Because what makes it so amazing is the views and privacy, but that's not in our control. The adjoining properties are like 40+ acre lots each sooo... you do have to be some serious asshole to build something next to this house... on a hill side... when you have 40 other acres to choose from. The actual properties on those lots are actually quite small, you can't even see them from the property. It also seems the current owners have owned it since 2007 and at least since then no one has built anything around it.

It's almost perfect and in our budget which worries me. If it's too good to be true... we'll see, still have a few properties to go see tomorrow.
I'd say the fact that a single party has owned it for 13 or 14 years gives some indication that the neighbors must not be complete gaping assholes - assuming, of course, that the owners spent significant time there. If the neighbors were incorrigible fuck-wads, this thing would have changed hands 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years.
      11-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #81
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Never forget the golden rule of neighborly relations: the best way to have good neighbors, is to be a good neighbor.
      11-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #82
fubarian
upgrades. Upgrades, EVERYWHERE
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, E63 M6, F25, M550xi

Quote:
As long as the easement is permanent...
It's worth asking about or looking at the docs for the land. Where I am, we have 2 ponds and a spring that are literally in the contract for the land and the rights are handed over, w/o restriction to the owners -- I could run a jet ski on it and have a vegas level water show ...and no one can do a damn thing about it.

Oddly though, we can have horses (4 of them, full sized) but no chickens. Geese, ducks, pheasant, quail? ...no problem.
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #83
fubarian
Rep

Quote:
Never forget the golden rule of neighborly relations: the best way to have good neighbors, is to be a good neighbor.
this is also why I buy a 1/2 a pig and 1/2 a lamb every year from the farm next door. 1, WHY NOT!? and 2, helps them out - people back out all the time on this BS
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #84
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarian View Post
this is also why I buy a 1/2 a pig and 1/2 a lamb every year from the farm next door. 1, WHY NOT!? and 2, helps them out - people back out all the time on this BS
Excellent point. I buy as much locally as I can. I don't haul anything up to my cabin that I can buy locally there. Besides the transport hassle, I'd rather deal locally. My cabin and my pole barn were both built by a local contractor. Those guys were great builders, and got me plugged-in to the local community.

I have a "keep-full" arrangement with the local fuel & oil dealer for a tank in which I store Sunoco race gas; they bill me monthly at an absurdly low price. I buy almost all my engine oil through them. I've got a local source for Stihl and John Deere parts.

And most of all when you're dealing locally, you get to know folks in the community. They're glad for your business. They're glad to get to know you. They want to hear your stories. Play your cards right, and you won't be known as "that hermit who lives off County Road E."
      11-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #85
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's worth asking about or looking at the docs for the land. Where I am, we have 2 ponds and a spring that are literally in the contract for the land and the rights are handed over, w/o restriction to the owners -- I could run a jet ski on it and have a vegas level water show ...and no one can do a damn thing about it.

Oddly though, we can have horses (4 of them, full sized) but no chickens. Geese, ducks, pheasant, quail? ...no problem.
Chickens - roosters, specifically - have a nasty habit of crowing at inopportune times of the day. I don't know of another animal that even approaches their decibels-per-pound factor. The rest of the critters you list just eat and poop and mind their own business.
      11-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #86
fubarian
Rep

Quote:
Excellent point. I buy as much locally as I can ...
people say "buy local" blahblahblah and I'm like "oh, you mean next door, across the dirt road or do you mean the butcher down the way a bit?"

Quote:
Chickens - roosters, specifically - have a nasty habit of crowing at inopportune times of the day. I don't know of another animal that even approaches their decibels-per-pound factor. The rest of the critters you list just eat and poop and mind their own business.
the small farm has ...ducks, chickens and ...geese I think. The geese may be just visitors but I never hear any of them. The one pig likes to get out every once in a while though. Apparently he's been "bullied by the rest since he wasn't part of the litter" -- srsly. This is living out in the sticks for ya.
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #87
fubarian
Rep

Quote:
and you won't be known as "that hermit who lives off County Road E."
woah woah woah, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I'm already that guy ...that stayed during the fires and climbed the hill for a better look
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #88
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The one pig likes to get out every once in a while though...
Well, don't we all?

I can only surmise that the video of your banjo audition has made the rounds. That's a tough setback to recover from. I feel for you...but I can't reach you.