M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Coolant Reservoir - RK Autowerkes

05-01-2024, 11:54 PM   #45
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
It’s a thing

A few months ago we were wondering if this was a, ‘thing’. Guess so
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:01 AM   #46
kris1858
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M8 Competition

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [7.50]
FYSA I was just informed that there is a recall for the coolant reservoir. BMW is "finalizing" the details, so not sure when it will become a reality.
CF mods from Manhart, 3D Design, Dinan, Vorsteiner and IND. Custom CF steering wheel, Custom ADV.1 510 M.V2 Advanced Series 21inch rims + titanium hardware. Carbahn Tune – 771 HP 738 lb-ft Torque, Manhart CF Intakes, Dinan CF Turbo Inlets, Keller Performance Titanium Cerakote Race Midpipes, KW Height Adjustable Spring (HAS) Kit.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4602.50
      05-05-2024, 10:16 AM   #47
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

Think the recall is for 2020 model year, my 2022 does not have the recall on it. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 12:10 PM   #48
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
Think the recall is for 2020 model year, my 2022 does not have the recall on it. Yet.
I'm hearing rumor it will extend as well to other years. But I've also heard later years have a different supplier as well so who the heck knows. lol
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:56 PM   #49
FinnyMcC
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

I've only seen this referenced for the M8. Anyone know if this recall is going to include the M850I?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 03:53 PM   #50
KillerBlackRhino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F93 M8 GC Competition

Garage List
I just dropped my car off for inspection at the dealership and my service advisor advised me that there’s a recall notice for my 2023 that was delivered in August 2022. Fortunately, I already replaced the coolant expansion tank with the RK motorwerkes billet tank.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #51
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Did anyone use new o-rings on this install of the tank? My dealer was rather concerned I didn't have new ones.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #52
KillerBlackRhino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Did anyone use new o-rings on this install of the tank? My dealer was rather concerned I didn't have new ones.
I reused the O-rings. The manufacturer recommends that you reuse the O-rings. I couldn’t put my hands on replacement O-rings.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #53
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackRhino View Post
I reused the O-rings. The manufacturer recommends that you reuse the O-rings. I couldn’t put my hands on replacement O-rings.
It would be nice if RK sourced the correct ones. They could offer them as an add-on. I mean they're only O rings. It's just what size and spec that we need to know. The dealer said they weren't on their parts list.
Also it would be nice if the old tank didn't have to be destroyed to get the sensor's out. Mine wasn't leaking at all.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #54
KillerBlackRhino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It would be nice if RK sourced the correct ones. They could offer them as an add-on. I mean they're only O rings. It's just what size and spec that we need to know. The dealer said they weren't on their parts list.
Also it would be nice if the old tank didn't have to be destroyed to get the sensor's out. Mine wasn't leaking at all.
You are right and I had the same experience. Considering the cost of the tank, wouldn’t it make sense that they provide the gaskets??
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #55
M8Bimmer
Rep

Yes it would make sense on their part. Even if they were $20 bucks (way to much) a set, I'd buy them. Just to ensure they are perfect. Most likely the old ones are fine, but new is better. The asked me to monitor the sensor for leakage. So far it seems fine.
So even though they charged me to install it. They gave me another new tank under warranty. To cover that install price they flushed my brake system and refilled. Free.
They said they couldn't make the billet tank labor free even though the OEM unit is recalled.
I said "but you'd need to pull the old tank to replace with a new OEW tank". I said what's the difference if you put in my billet tank or a replacement one from BMW?. And under recall warranty of course.
They said "yes" but the billet tank can't be free labor because it is not a BMW OEM part. They couldn't use it to be part of the recall as it's not a OEM part. I understand that.
So they comped me the free brake service fluid change and flush Fair enough in my eye.
So now I have a brand new OEM tank in a box. Never to be used . I don't think the billet unit will ever fail.
It was about $275 USD to install the billet unit.
I was thinking afterward that maybe I should have added this unit to the install. For added protection from failed sensor or O-rings.
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...on-tank-shield
Maybe overkill....but I love mechanical overkill....mostly.
I'm rather a leave nothing to chance type. As well I'm a part-time weekend amateur gynecologist......down by the river.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #56
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Yes it would make sense on their part. Even if they were $20 bucks (way to much) a set, I'd buy them. Just to ensure they are perfect. Most likely the old ones are fine, but new is better. The asked me to monitor the sensor for leakage. So far it seems fine.
So even though they charged me to install it. They gave me another new tank under warranty. To cover that install price they flushed my brake system and refilled. Free.
They said they couldn't make the billet tank labor free even though the OEM unit is recalled.
I said "but you'd need to pull the old tank to replace with a new OEW tank". I said what's the difference if you put in my billet tank or a replacement one from BMW?. And under recall warranty of course.
They said "yes" but the billet tank can't be free labor because it is not a BMW OEM part. They couldn't use it to be part of the recall as it's not a OEM part. I understand that.
So they comped me the free brake service fluid change and flush Fair enough in my eye.
So now I have a brand new OEM tank in a box. Never to be used . I don't think the billet unit will ever fail.
It was about $275 USD to install the billet unit.
I was thinking afterward that maybe I should have added this unit to the install. For added protection from failed sensor or O-rings.
https://ind-distribution.com/collect...on-tank-shield
Maybe overkill....but I love mechanical overkill....mostly.
I'm rather a leave nothing to chance type. As well I'm a part-time weekend amateur gynecologist......down by the river.
It’s only money, but maybe an injector test is a good use at this point? $275 for the reservoir hey? It was only an hour for mine.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #57
M8Bimmer
Rep

Ya they were thrown off by the sensor install. They were worried about ruining my current no issue tank. They phoned me several times to make sure I was cool with them wrecking it. You need to break the plastic sensor housing away to remove the sensor. No big deal really. Other than it ruins the tank. But if yours is pooched....who cares. In my case it wasn't. Anyway they used it as the warranty return unit to BMW.
I said go ahead.
But in the end I got a new replacement part.
So it was $407 CAD. But they threw in the brake flush worth $275 CAD. So I'm happy basically.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #58
M8Bimmer
Rep

The new plastic unit in the box sure looks ......iffy. What I mean is the seam looks basically just seam welded or glued. Seems pretty crappy to me. I don't have the old one to compare it to as they kept it.
Imo this new one is basically like the old one. But I dunno really.
Anyway billet to the rescue.

Last edited by M8Bimmer; Today at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:27 AM   #59
DfwScags
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
I’ve had the IND setup on my car for 5 months now no issues whatsoever. Decided to install bc my coolant tank expansion had a minor leak that ended up running down onto fuel injectors. Literally one injector at a time would throw a code. I’d replace that single one and then a week later the next and so on. After the 3rd one I ended up replacing them all. Yes I shoulda done this initially but mechanic said it wasn’t necessary…. Personally if I would have known about RK’s I would’ve purchased it but this plastic IND has held up just fine.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1287.50