M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion RS Etron GT or 840 GC

10-16-2023, 12:04 PM   #23
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddym850icoupe View Post
So I have rs etron gt and m4 comp xdrive
I also had m850i coupe so I think I can comment more accurately than pretty much anyone on here.
The interior is not flimsy, nor is it low quality, nor is it ugly. I would rate it on par with the 8 series if not slightly superior and slightly inferior to that of the nearly identical taycan. It loks very bland in black which i would recommend to avoid. Audi interiors in general are not exactly flashy in general so this is no different. The 8 series imo in black is equally bland. I personally love that the rs etron still has physical buttons for climate control and a bunch of other things. The only thing I would comment on, is that it is tight inside despite how big the car is overall. I'm 5'8" and 165lbs so it doesn't bother me in any way. The other thing is that the interior lighting is very understated. But the same can be said for any 8 series without a bowers and wilkins audio system. The Bang and olufsen optional audio ao good/great but the bowers and wilkins is definitely superior.
The audi UI in my opinion though good and very user friendly, is starting to look dated. Especially when compared to new BMW UI. The 8 series still carries the older tech so in this regard it isn't really up to date. However, I do think the idrive in the 8 series is slightly superior to the rs etron gt.
The car itself drives amazingly well for something that weighs over 5000lbs. Cornering is flat. Body roll is minimal. I would argue that my m850i coupe had more body roll. The acceleration is crazy. The car rides amazingly well. Closer to m850i than m8. Very comfortable car, definitely very different to my m4.
There's wind noise at speeds over 85 mph which I didn't have in the m850i.
I live in SoCal so charging has been a breeze. Put over 2000 miles on the car so far and my cost was about $85. Free charging from electrify america and free charging at work. I filled up the m4 yesterday and it cost me $95. I've been lucky with chargers so far. Only one electrify america that wasn't working in dtla. Others, the car was charging between 150kw/hr to 220kw/hr. Meaning to get to 80% charge (slows down after that to about 50kw) took 15 minutes max.
I personally think the incentives make sense. The car is absolutely not worth 158k. It may be worth 110k. So the incentives correct that. I got a 3 year lease and got a little over 42k off total. So it brought the car to a price that I thought was reasonable.
One final thing, if you care about your passengers at the back get the glass roof. Not only does it improve the interior, it adds like 2 inches of head space. I had to search to find one without the carbon fiber roof but with carbon performance package. Also, the audi headlights are brilliant at night time.
Edited to say: it does have heads up display. It's standard...
Always nice to hear an actual owner's thoughts.

May you kindly delve a bit more in the driveability of the ETron? I have an M8 and a G80X so I know the differences there but since you have a G82X maybe some thoughts on how the Etron compares vs that car?

Speed/acceleration
Comfort
Steering
Suspension and chassis dynamics (big one for me here)
Exhaust (LOLOLOL)
Cabin presence
Cabin amenities

Ive watched quite a few YT vids on the ETron and for the most part the car performs and gets good reviews. Add in the discounts and damn it could be nice EV unit.

Thanks in advance
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:42 PM   #24
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Always nice to hear an actual owner's thoughts.

May you kindly delve a bit more in the driveability of the ETron? I have an M8 and a G80X so I know the differences there but since you have a G82X maybe some thoughts on how the Etron compares vs that car?

Speed/acceleration
Comfort
Steering
Suspension and chassis dynamics (big one for me here)
Exhaust (LOLOLOL)
Cabin presence
Cabin amenities

Ive watched quite a few YT vids on the ETron and for the most part the car performs and gets good reviews. Add in the discounts and damn it could be nice EV unit.

Thanks in advance
Compared to the m4:
I believe the 0-60 must be very similar. The m4 is more visceral due to sound and gear changes, the rs etron feels totally effortless. Quarter mile must be extremely similar as well. I feel the rs is probably slightly faster off the line and requires no skill for it. Def faster than the m850i.
Steering is actually better than I expected it to be. It doesn't have much feeling but there's appropriate weight to it. The m4 is superior but not by much as steering isn't one of the m4's strong point. With that said, def better than m850i steering which I thought was overly light.
Ride is very smooth, hides imperfections very well. Road noise is very low as well. I think very similar to m850i which I thought was a crazy comfortable car. The m4 is in my opinion not harsh at all in terms of suspension but very very different than the rs or m850.
There is a noticeable bounce when the car is in comfort mode which is a bit weird to me. The m850 was def better there. When in sport suspension that goes away and the car lowers noticeably.
Again surprising how flat it stays cornering considering it's weight. You can carry crazy speeds cornering. In areas that I know what I could do with the m4, I could do practically identical speeds with the rs etron which I assume is due to the fact that all the weight is so close to the ground. It also feels extremely stable at high speeds and very unbothered. Again very similar to m850i.
Highest speed I've hit was probably around 125 and it got there crazy fast.
Interior like I mentioned is really nice. Quality of materials and fit and finish is great, very similar between the 2 brands. I think the ui is better in BMW. I think ambient lighting is better in BMW. Bowers and Wilkins is def better than Bang and Olufsen.
Car has massage seats and basically everything u can expect in a car at this price point.
I meant to mention range as well, driving the car mostly in eco or comfort, I got a high of 288 mile range. Generally very consistent between 260 and 280 without trying too hard.
My impression is this:
If same price as 840, then def go for rs etron
If same price as m850i, then hard choice. I would probably go with rs etron if m850 has h&k audio. If it's B&W I may be swayed to m850i. Factor in that you will also probably save something like 8k in fuel
If same price as m8, then go with m8 regardless of fuel savings or B&W audio
Very hard to compare it to m4 as they are such different cars. The m850 feels like a very appropriate comparison and I would rate the 2 very closely. I do miss the v8 in the m850. I will still likely get a m8 comp soon lol
Appreciate 2
Vic5519789.00
      10-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #25
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencid78 View Post
RS Etron GT or 840 GC

What is your opinion about the Audi RS Etron GT? Looks like a solid vehicle, and for some reason is loaded with incentives. People report $800 lease payments on a $120k+ MSRP.
Def the audi. Looks so good. I think the non RS version has the full panoramic roof which I love. $800 ish lease payments sounds too good to be true in this economy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 07:01 PM   #26
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
This week I went looking for a lease replacement and went down the rabbit hole seeking a deal on a 157k rs etron gt

I stacked incentives
20k lease cash
7.5k fed rebate
5k Costco
5k Audi closing cash
Audicare to Inc residual

Found a worthy deal then decided to give the car a test drive to make sure I like it

Turns out, the car is absolute shit. Felt cheap on inside, panels were flimsy, absolutely no enjoyment to drive, didn’t feel ergonomic. Huge step down from Audi ICE vehicle quality

I suggest you test drive it before you start crunching numbers
Oh wow really?? I had a friend who test droved it and loved it
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:19 AM   #27
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I removed your post because it was great and complete but to save viewers that scroll and cry the optic space LOL...

With that being said thanks for the complete review.

I would fathom that the zero to 60's are equal to our G8X-X drive cars but I think the RS has the higher terminal trap speed but need to validate that further.

Again thanks.

Edit: MT got a 125.9 trap so its just barely faster than a G8X X drive in trap speed. Its a nice car but only worth it with the stack of incentives I feel. The 2022's with low miles are retailing under 100k which means wholesale in the lower 80's- The death of EV values is real.

Last edited by Vic55; 10-17-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:11 AM   #28
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
There is a stop sale on this car. There are some 2023 left, all plagued by this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #29
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep

^completely agree. At msrp the car is not worth it. With incentives, it does. The incentives imo correct the overpricing. Also, just to point out that the taycan that is the same car, retails for even more. The taycan gts that shares everything with the regular etron gt and taycan 4s retails at 165k. I was getting lease quotes in the low 3k for the taycan gts which I thought was insane. The rs etron gt shares everything with the taycan turbo and turbo s and monthly payment is about half of what they were quoting for the taycan gts... as much as I like the taycan's design better, I couldn't convince myself that it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:18 AM   #30
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
^completely agree. At msrp the car is not worth it. With incentives, it does. The incentives imo correct the overpricing. Also, just to point out that the taycan that is the same car, retails for even more. The taycan gts that shares everything with the regular etron gt and taycan 4s retails at 165k. I was getting lease quotes in the low 3k for the taycan gts which I thought was insane. The rs etron gt shares everything with the taycan turbo and turbo s and monthly payment is about half of what they were quoting for the taycan gts... as much as I like the taycan's design better, I couldn't convince myself that it was worth it.
Just had someone quote me $2,300 lease for 23' RS. 😆
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:26 PM   #31
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
They are missing some of the discounts and probably marking up the rate fully and not discounting the car at all.

byeeeeeeeeeee audi
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:52 PM   #32
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thats stupid. My payment is waaaaay less than that
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2023, 08:27 AM   #33
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Try going on a long 7 hour road trip in the Etron (and no, not from SF to LA). Gotta plan and hope that you have working places to charge.

I did a road trip to beautiful upper Michigan in my M850i GC last month and it sailed on the highway, often at 90 mph for 1-2 hours at a time, smoothly. No problem filling my tank anywhere I needed to.
Appreciate 3
snowbimmer5335.00
Wavy1201.00
FBMWWINS606.00
      10-19-2023, 08:31 AM   #34
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Try going on a long 7 hour road trip in the Etron (and no, not from SF to LA). Gotta plan and hope that you have working places to charge.

I did a road trip to beautiful upper Michigan in my M850i GC last month and it sailed on the highway, often at 90 mph for 1-2 hours at a time, smoothly. No problem filling my tank anywhere I needed to.
Good point. I do have a touring vehicle. This would be for in town use.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:46 AM   #35
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I do have a touring vehicle. This would be for in town use.
Same--- I would seriously only get the car for street ripping. It would purely be a non commuter car

I saw one on Tuesday (RS) and its got some fucking presence to say the least as its very wide. But my Plaid is wider LOL. (Barely)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #36
vencid78
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Same—- I would seriously only get the car for street ripping. It would purely be a non commuter car

I saw one on Tuesday (RS) and its got some fucking presence to say the least as its very wide. But my Plaid is wider LOL. (Barely)
Is the Plaid wider then the two motors version?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #37
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Is the Plaid wider then the two motors version?
Not after the 2021 refresh, they share the same shell ...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #38
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Right now if I was forced (luckily not the case....) to buy an EV, it would definitely be the RS e-tron GT. I really appreciate the overall looks..... for me best EV exterior design by far as well as some very decent interior with at least some buttons/commands to "play" around with instead of a pure minimalist configuration and setting. I am a BMW fanatic since ever but I have to admit Audi have done a great job with the e-tron and is a car I could see myself owning in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #39
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M8 GC, '25 X5 M60i, '20 Je

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Right now if I was forced (luckily not the case....) to buy an EV, it would definitely be the RS e-tron GT. I really appreciate the overall looks..... for me best EV exterior design by far as well as some very decent interior with at least some buttons/commands to "play" around with instead of a pure minimalist configuration and setting. I am a BMW fanatic since ever but I have to admit Audi have done a great job with the e-tron and is a car I could see myself owning in the future.
It’s a sick car and the rear end is stunning. “But that ass…0

Inside is nice but I find the BMW tech much better. The RS comes a little watered down compared to ICE RS models. I gave it back and got the RSQ8 and the tech was better. Likely due to power conservation in the e-tron.

The power is crazy. My M8 feels faster off the line but jumping from 70-110 in the Audi was bonkers.

If im an electric buyer again in the future that’s top of the list.
Appreciate 1