M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Software update stuck for over a month now.....

07-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
Is there a reason everyone on here wants the updates? Are there some awesome features that get enabled with the newest software?
I have the 11/22 version and don't really care to update except apparently I have to to get my digital key to work
Digital key doesn't work for you with 11/2022?
      07-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #24
rickyr17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i Vert (G14)

Garage List
Quote:
Is there a reason everyone on here wants the updates? Are there some awesome features that get enabled with the newest software?
I have the 11/22 version and don't really care to update except apparently I have to to get my digital key to work
Haha. I think its FOMO - fear of missing out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr17 View Post
Haha. I think its FOMO - fear of missing out.
For me, it's maybe this update will fix my android auto disconnecting issue, call audio disconnecting issue, steering wheel not always moving into position issue, ....
Actually the android auto issue I read is caused by a new bug Google created starting with AA9. 2. Meanwhile, they're up to AA10.0 and still not fixed. Unless it's BMW's fault. See why I want the update? Lol
      07-19-2023, 09:04 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr17 View Post
Thanks. That confirms my problem isn't the battery.
Yes and no as although the TIS on a M850i considers it auxiliary the actual charge/voltage of the Lithium battery may be the culprit. Key being you can "brick" iD7 if it runs out of juice while applying the update. Consider akin to an iOS update or Android update on a cell phone. It will either not apply depending on the battery level or tell you to plug in to a charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:06 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
11/22? Digital key worked well before that including 11/19 on my M850i.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #28
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yes and no as although the TIS on a M850i considers it auxiliary the actual charge/voltage of the Lithium battery may be the culprit. Key being you can "brick" iD7 if it runs out of juice while applying the update. Consider akin to an iOS update or Android update on a cell phone. It will either not apply depending on the battery level or tell you to plug in to a charger.
Ok, but how about telling us why the install cannot be completed? Why leave the user hanging with absolutely no information? I just don’t get it.

And if it is the lithium battery, then it’s never going to fix itself. The update will just expire and then another will come asking to be downloaded. That’s a terrible vicious circle of poor software management and owner/user communication.

Although I guess it’s not as bad as paying Tesla for Full Self Driving and never getting it
Appreciate 1
chillo31.50
      07-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
Ok, but how about telling us why the install cannot be completed? Why leave the user hanging with absolutely no information? I just don’t get it.

And if it is the lithium battery, then it’s never going to fix itself. The update will just expire and then another will come asking to be downloaded. That’s a terrible vicious circle of poor software management and owner/user communication.

Although I guess it’s not as bad as paying Tesla for Full Self Driving and never getting it
Why I'm buying the CTEK (as posted on another thread) Lithium charger. Call me a nerd but I read everything and although the NOCO Genius 10 handles AGM and Lithium the BSM on the M850i caps Lithium charging at 14V. NOCO starts out at 14.4. CTEK 13.8. just s minor rounding error in the investment in the car so as stated may keep both or just return the NOCO.

As for why the OTA won't install, I'm as frustrated as everyone else. Check the threads as I've had 3 failed installs once uploaded to the car granted this is the second go around with 11/2022.60.

Ultimately I'm just going to have my dealer install the latest next next month regardless as my factory warranty expires on 12/9/2023. Guaranteed they won't bitch and moan but rather do it although according to BMW iD upgrades are not part of labor cost given the OTA solution. LOL as I live in the digital world as stated on dozens of threads and BMW can't punch their way out of a paper bag in that realm.
Appreciate 1
chillo31.50
      07-21-2023, 07:31 AM   #30
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Digital key doesn't work for you with 11/2022?
Nope not an option for me until hopefully the dealer forces a new update/recall next week
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #31
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope not an option for me until hopefully the dealer forces a new update/recall next week
Odd. Did digital key ever work for you? Did your car come with a key card (credit card)? Do you have the charging tray? Is it possible your car has the digital key credit due to parts shortage (during supply chain shortage)? If so, you won't get it from the dealer, even with a software update.
      07-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Odd. Did digital key ever work for you? Did your car come with a key card (credit card)? Do you have the charging tray? Is it possible your car has the digital key credit due to parts shortage (during supply chain shortage)? If so, you won't get it from the dealer, even with a software update.
This may be indeed be the case as the 2022s had various part shortages with one being the wireless charging tray. No tray (although there still may be the rubber mat which covers it) would explain why the digital key is not recognized as it needs it to connect to the car for configuring it and then for use to actually start the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I took the M850i in for service this morning due to the construction staple in the left rear tire (losing air slowly but unsafe to drive at high speeds) as per another thread on that. My normal SA is out on vacation through next week so just scheduled it with any available advisor for the 8am appointment. Not my SA so ended up with a Honda Pilot for a loaner but no big deal.

Here's where it got interesting as according to the SA BMW has a bulletin out on failed OTAs. Obviously, I did not ask on all series, etc. but just rather voiced my skepticism when he stated they need my Connected Drive username and password. The OTA is on the car why? Do an upgrade beyond it (guessing 03/2023 or 07/2023) why? Ultimately I gave the info and obviously when I pick up the car tomorrow the password is changing. 😜

Here's his text update that the car is being programmed. LOL as it will be either 03/2023 or 07/2023 vs the 11/2022.60 stuck in vaporland on the car. I get it that the non-technical savvy folks out there don't understand how an OTA works but as posted countless of times I lived in the world that created them and fully understand the dynamics along with literally everything else in the digital world. If it was my SA no BS questions asked but rather the programming as he wouldn't question me at all. Showed the SA of the day all the messages in the MyBMW app of software available, software installed on the car, etc. just to make the point as I'm far from clueless.

Got a 3D pic of the car in a service bay being programmed. Yeah that's not an OTA dumb ass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #34
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
The car is back and sure enough I ended up with the latest (07/2023.33) programed. The dealer always includes a full inspection video done by the tech and thankfully all is pristine, brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. but he did call out that he was authorized to do the programming but would include the detail as to why the OTA failed in the work order when I picked up the car.

Here's where it gets interesting and once again a bug either the 07/2021.60 introduced on the car or something else even broader. I'm not sure if it's ever been posted before but it includes all of the items the car needs to have off/on, position, etc. The manual states some of them, e.g., flat surface but now we all know it's <=12% grade. My driveway may be slightly steeper than that but even left the car on the street in front of the house as an experiment. The manual states clear line of sight to the sky or something like that but not on the list as that is immaterial for the OTA once on the car to install. Plus, I know even with the car in the garage and the garage door shut it still communicates with the BMW cloud or the remote start, etc.would not work at all.

As clearly highlighted, the tech's diagnostics indicate the OTA failed due to the hazard lights being on. Seriously? I'm nearing 4 years of ownership this December and the hazard lights have never been utilized once. Thankfully no situation that has ever required doing so. Hence, the call-out that BMW has another bug at least in my prior version and who knows if or when they fixed it with another iD7 update.

The car is a keeper for at least another year and doubt I'll sweat over any further OTAs as 95% plus of them are focused on iD8 and the EV models. I only wanted the 11/2022.60 as it introduced the less aggressive lane change assist when in full driving assistance mode. Latest includes that so peace out to BMW who still cannot punch their way out of a paper bag when it comes to the digital world. OTA now equals "other than applicable" in my vocabulary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chillo31.50
      07-26-2023, 04:46 PM   #35
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

These are the updates which have gone into the 2023/07 software available at dealers.

Quality improvements for Service Pack 18 vehicles
  • Quality improvement: Cruise Control and Assisted Driving Control: The robustness of the Distance Control activation is improved with the new software.
  • Quality improvement: Lane Departure Warning and Front Collision Warning: The robustness of the Lane Departure Warning and front collision warning are improved in difficult weather conditions, such as rain, snowfall, low sun or fog. Note: However, functional performance may be reduced in bad weather conditions.
  • Quality improvement: Optimised starting behaviour: The vehicle's starting behaviour from engine start/stop situations has been improved with this update.
  • Quality improvement: Owner's Handbook: The description for activating trailer operation has been adapted in the Owner's Handbook.
  • Quality improvement: Assisted Driving Plus: The display and operation of the Assisted Driving Mode Plus function has been improved.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2023, 10:56 PM   #36
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP007 View Post
These are the updates which have gone into the 2023/07 software available at dealers.

Quality improvements for Service Pack 18 vehicles

Quality improvement: Cruise Control and Assisted Driving Control: The robustness of the Distance Control activation is improved with the new software.
Quality improvement: Lane Departure Warning and Front Collision Warning: The robustness of the Lane Departure Warning and front collision warning are improved in difficult weather conditions, such as rain, snowfall, low sun or fog. Note: However, functional performance may be reduced in bad weather conditions.
Quality improvement: Optimised starting behaviour: The vehicle's starting behaviour from engine start/stop situations has been improved with this update.
Quality improvement: Owner's Handbook: The description for activating trailer operation has been adapted in the Owner's Handbook.
Quality improvement: Assisted Driving Plus: The display and operation of the Assisted Driving Mode Plus function has been improved.
Thanks and rest my case on OTA equals "other than applicable" in my life. I'm hoping they didn't butcher the ACC (first bullet) as it's worked flawless since day 1 on 10/2019.60 and forward). Second bullet may help others but I live in a world of sunshine (currently 110 degrees Fahrenheit) and when it rains the last thing I'll ever do so is depend on the "nannies" of the car.

The rest of the "features" fall into the same category with the manual update being the biggest joke of the 3. To that point what is optimized starting behavior? It's either on or off. WTF? But guessing it is associated with either comfort or ECO Pro modes in which the engine auto starts/stops for fuel efficiency. Once again LOL as I can even have that enabled (off by default with my Sport Individual configuration) and the engine won't stop when it's 90 degrees plus as that kills the A/C.

Looking forward to seeing what they may have changed with the last bullet as it's been hit or miss for me when "plus" would engage or not. That's subjective as I'm not in highway stop/go driving even on a semi-annual basis. For those that are it may be (stated with all skepticism involved) a total win.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 02:15 AM   #37
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thanks and rest my case on OTA equals "other than applicable" in my life. I'm hoping they didn't butcher the ACC (first bullet) as it's worked flawless since day 1 on 10/2019.60 and forward). Second bullet may help others but I live in a world of sunshine (currently 110 degrees Fahrenheit) and when it rains the last thing I'll ever do so is depend on the "nannies" of the car.

The rest of the "features" fall into the same category with the manual update being the biggest joke of the 3. To that point what is optimized starting behavior? It's either on or off. WTF? But guessing it is associated with either comfort or ECO Pro modes in which the engine auto starts/stops for fuel efficiency. Once again LOL as I can even have that enabled (off by default with my Sport Individual configuration) and the engine won't stop when it's 90 degrees plus as that kills the A/C.

Looking forward to seeing what they may have changed with the last bullet as it's been hit or miss for me when "plus" would engage or not. That's subjective as I'm not in highway stop/go driving even on a semi-annual basis. For those that are it may be (stated with all skepticism involved) a total win.
Will be interesting to see if you notice any differences with the changes. Do report back.
Appreciate 0