M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What's next? (S5 is Sold)

05-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #67
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I heard the SportDiff only made that genuine handling difference under heavy throttle...how did the car handle for you under power through the turns? Is corner attitude throttle adjustable?
No you definitely feel it's effects even on a trailing throttle as you enter a corner, it appears to turn in better, well that was S4 compared to S5 which has a slightly lighter engine and slightly better weight balance but I still reckon most of the effect was coming from the diff.

Under power you can feel the diff working, when the tail steps out you definitely have throttle control over what it does but I think to get real enjoyment from it the power would need to be well over 400hp. As it is the slides are small which is very easy to control which is probably better for the public roads. Think an M3 with MDM engaged but without the reigning in from the traction control and spoiling the fun.

Though you do have to be brutal to get the tail to play which again is probably a good thing on public roads. I think in the wet the system could make you look a hero in front of your friends instead of a dick which is ever present if you disengage DSC with the M3.

As for me, I have made my decision and have already shown interest with the local dealer on a new RS5 when it's launched but will wait until Spring '10 before making the final decision on whether to change if I like what I see.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #68
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
No you definitely feel it's effects even on a trailing throttle as you enter a corner, it appears to turn in better, well that was S4 compared to S5 which has a slightly lighter engine and slightly better weight balance but I still reckon most of the effect was coming from the diff.

Under power you can feel the diff working, when the tail steps out you definitely have throttle control over what it does but I think to get real enjoyment from it the power would need to be well over 400hp. As it is the slides are small which is very easy to control which is probably better for the public roads. Think an M3 with MDM engaged but without the reigning in from the traction control and spoiling the fun.

Though you do have to be brutal to get the tail to play which again is probably a good thing on public roads. I think in the wet the system could make you look a hero in front of your friends instead of a dick which is ever present if you disengage DSC with the M3.

As for me, I have made my decision and have already shown interest with the local dealer on a new RS5 when it's launched but will wait until Spring '10 before making the final decision on whether to change if I like what I see.
Sounds amazing. I'm dying to drive one. May have to go to the local Audi dealer and see if they have a demo.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #69
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Just a little update for you all, I decided to save a little bit of money and just stick with the G37,335i lineup of cars. So I was enjoying the G37 6MT quite a bit honestly until I got into a 335 today. The car is just perfect! I was thinking about just getting into a lease with the 09' e92 335i Msport 6MT (What numbers should I be looking at? Invoice?).

I just cant decide whether or not to wait for the 10's
      05-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #70
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
Just a little update for you all, I decided to save a little bit of money and just stick with the G37,335i lineup of cars. So I was enjoying the G37 6MT quite a bit honestly until I got into a 335 today. The car is just perfect! I was thinking about just getting into a lease with the 09' e92 335i Msport 6MT (What numbers should I be looking at? Invoice?).

Is there not to be a power hike in 2010? I remember reading about an extra 25hp, maybe Southlight might know more.

Anyway as long as it has the new idrive then all is well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #71
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Don't worry about the power hikes (if there are any coming). Plop down $100 for a conservative JB1 tune. Takes 20 minutes to install (less to uninstall once you know how everything works), doesn't stress the engine like a Stage 2/3 tune would, and it's cheap. You'll get a nice ~30bhp/50lb-ft bump.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #72
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Don't worry about the power hikes (if there are any coming). Plop down $100 for a conservative JB1 tune. Takes 20 minutes to install (less to uninstall once you know how everything works), doesn't stress the engine like a Stage 2/3 tune would, and it's cheap. You'll get a nice ~30bhp/50lb-ft bump.
If it's gonna be a lease JB3 it.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #73
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:

If you can, you should try to wait until the 2010's arrive in Oct.; they should be available for order within the next 2 months. Or, you could probably get a good deal on a leftover 2009. Either way (especially with a tune on your 335i), you win.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #74
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
So, Audi bought my S5 back... Time to think about the next car, I would love to stick with a V8 but a 335 would work to. What cars are even out there im so lost, because I wasnt expecting to have to pick up another car so soon.

Oh well, so what are we looking at?

M3
335 MSport
C63

Trying to keep it between 50-60k
Talk to Dascamel on this forum..he had a 335 and got an M3 now...a new one.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0