M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Fit/Finish vs. Power/Handling

03-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #45
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
This is the problem with the OP's threads. As in the one where he said people are "idiots" to buy new cars over used cars. He can't seem to ask a question and promote a dialogue but instead prefers to make unrealistic generalizations that only create ire and/or confusion. So, I gather he's never asking an actual question but only stating his world view under the guise of a question.
Actually the thread initially had nothing to do with the professionalism argument. It was fit and finish, have you ever found yourself going from one to the other and been happy, or gone from one to the other only to return to the style of car you had previously. With high-po, cheap... or luxo and not so high-po being the contenders.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #46
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Let me put it this way,,
If you have money, then of course you can buy exotics,,but with LIMITED amount of money that most of us have to deal with,,we have to make a choice between luxury, compromise between luxury+performance, or just pure, raw performance.

Ex.

I could only buy a 30k car a few years ago. So I opted for compromise which was an rx8
Nice interior, beautiful styling (debatable), nice handling, 9k rpm, but lacks power.

I THOUGHT I could get away with 180whp as long as the styling was nice, but I was wrong. I traded it in for an evo9 and couldn't be happier.

Few years of owning evo9 doesn't make me want to go back to rx8 but rather something more refined and similar performance such as z06, 997tt, etc..

Now there comes new issue..money!!
      03-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Let me put it this way,,
If you have money, then of course you can buy exotics,,but with LIMITED amount of money that most of us have to deal with,,we have to make a choice between luxury, compromise between luxury+performance, or just pure, raw performance.

Ex.

I could only buy a 30k car a few years ago. So I opted for compromise which was an rx8
Nice interior, beautiful styling (debatable), nice handling, 9k rpm, but lacks power.

I THOUGHT I could get away with 180whp as long as the styling was nice, but I was wrong. I traded it in for an evo9 and couldn't be happier.

Few years of owning evo9 doesn't make me want to go back to rx8 but rather something more refined and similar performance such as z06, 997tt, etc..

Now there comes new issue..money!!
At least you see what I was getting at...

If someone has say a $25,000 budget they can get an EVO... or say, a 328i with low miles. The BMW is far superior in terms over the fit and finish part, but not even close in terms of performance. Some have one, get sick of it thinking they want the other and go to it and it either proves that they really wanted that, or that what they came from was more there taste afterall
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #48
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
At least you see what I was getting at...

If someone has say a $25,000 budget they can get an EVO... or say, a 328i with low miles. The BMW is far superior in terms over the fit and finish part, but not even close in terms of performance. Some have one, get sick of it thinking they want the other and go to it and it either proves that they really wanted that, or that what they came from was more there taste afterall
I think most readers of this thread knew what you were trying to convey. I think what they were trying to "get at" was the fact that your question is not answerable with a simple answer (going back to my analogy of the production possibilities frontier).

Anyway, what irked me was your brash generalizations of folks in the financial industry.

I also concur withj stickypaw's assessment.

Maybe if the OP gave a hypothetical scenario with various constraints (ex, let's say you had 30K to spend, etc etc....how would you go about deciding your purchase..etc) there would';ve been more constructive conversation.
Appreciate 0