M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I think I made a mistake opting for straight pipe rather than x pipe with res delete

10-13-2023, 01:24 AM   #1
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I think I made a mistake opting for straight pipe rather than x pipe with res delete

I absolutely loved replacing the resonator with an X pipe in my 2020 m8 comp coupe. Thinking that with my new 2024 gran coupe being longer, it would be worth giving the straight pipe a shot to sound as good if not better

Results are not as expected.. I believe I’m getting a ton of drone in low rpms and the rasp of the exhaust with valves open is sharper, which to me is not as pleasant

Video is not the best representation, but I’d appreciate feedback of the sound you’re hearing (ignore the whistling, that’s just the intake)

Video 1: 2024 coupe - a couple of drives where I believe I’m hearing drone, then before and after straight pipe video. I have not made rev videos but it’s a lot louder and sharper with more pops and bangs

Video 2: 2020 coupe before and after xpipe

Appreciate 1
Tom C44.50
      10-13-2023, 05:32 AM   #2
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

I had both, straight was too loud and to raspy for my taste.. yes, it produced more aggressive pop n bangs but that’s it… after putting x pipe the sound become more deep and more what I like, I would personally never go back to straight pipe for this car
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
I had both, straight was too loud and to raspy for my taste.. yes, it produced more aggressive pop n bangs but that’s it… after putting x pipe the sound become more deep and more what I like, I would personally never go back to straight pipe for this car
Glad I’m not the only one. So I’m not crazy

I’m going to call to change to X pipe

Did you swap to Valvetronic or another type of exhaust? Wasn’t sure if your message on their post was a joke or not ha
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 02:49 PM   #4
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Glad I’m not the only one. So I’m not crazy

I’m going to call to change to X pipe

Did you swap to Valvetronic or another type of exhaust? Wasn’t sure if your message on their post was a joke or not ha
I had stock exhaust before and replaced resonator with straight pipe, then I replaced straight with xpipe.. I was happy for sometime then I bought gpower exhaust which had straight pipes… but again it was to raspy for my taste, then I sold it and put my stock exhaust with xpipe… and not long ago I’ve ordered titanium exhaust with xpipe from China and super happy… that’s my story
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
I had stock exhaust before and replaced resonator with straight pipe, then I replaced straight with xpipe.. I was happy for sometime then I bought gpower exhaust which had straight pipes… but again it was to raspy for my taste, then I sold it and put my stock exhaust with xpipe… and not long ago I’ve ordered titanium exhaust with xpipe from China and super happy… that’s my story
Oh so no joke you got titanium for that cheap?
Does it have valves as well?

Any sound clips? Maybe I’d want to get that instead of slapping on just an x pipe

As long as I can eliminate the rasp and drone, I’d be happy with louder deeper growl
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 04:38 AM   #6
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Oh so no joke you got titanium for that cheap?
Does it have valves as well?

Any sound clips? Maybe I’d want to get that instead of slapping on just an x pipe

As long as I can eliminate the rasp and drone, I’d be happy with louder deeper growl
Hey,

Yes, you can check on AE… possibly the delivery will be more expensive than shipping to the UK… if you search for M8 titanium exhaust you will see multiple sellers but they all use the same factory… ib the pictures all if those exhausts use H pipe but you can ask for xpipe and they will make it for you… in regards the valves you have 2 optiona, to keep the stock valves - you simply insert stock cassettes into the new exhaust to retain the stock valve behaviour or they can provide you with the controller to control the valves
Appreciate 0