M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 22 M850i 6 week ownership review (and comparison to M340i)

02-07-2023, 01:38 PM   #1
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

22 M850i 6 week ownership review (and comparison to M340i)

Well, I figured I would review this car against my prior car (M340i), which I also adored.

Where I prefer the M850:

The V8 engine. Sorry B58, I love ya, really do. But this V8 is so smooth and powerful. I mean, I just love driving this thing. I know that prior generations had their issues, but the current N63 is among the great V8's in existence right now and I think that automotive history will review it in a positive light.

Looks. The GC is gorgeous. Looks exactly like a GT, and a car for a professional/executive who is going places. But it doesn't stop there--after all, a 7 series has that. The car is just beautiful. It is a bit rarer. It's a work of art, IMO

Interior build quality. Definitely a more luxurious interior than the 3 series was. But that's expected given the higher price.

Ride quality: A much softer and gentler ride than my 3 series had, where you felt every bump on the road. However, on my current car I have the Extreme contact Conti all seasons, while on the M340i I had the runflat Pirelli's, and that certainly could be contributing to the difference.

Where they are equal:

Infotainment/tech. Pretty much the same for both cars I've had. My 3 series didn't have the auto-cruise-self-driving thingy that my 8 series has (and which I haven't yet used), nor did my 3 series have gesture control (oh no! what to do without that?). But besides that, the Apple carplay, infotainment, tech, etc is pretty much identical across the BMW lineup, it seems.

Where the M340i excels:

One thing I miss about the 3 series as that there seems to be a more thriving aftermarket scene for these cars than the 8 series, and it's more affordable. I loved how easily I could get a nonvalved, mufflerless exhaust for that car. I didn't do any other mods but I know that there is a lot that can be, and has been, done by many enthusiasts with that car.

Handling. The M850i handles remarkably well for its size, but it still isn't as nimble as the 3 series. The 3 series just darts around every little curve and, for it not being a proper sports car, was still really fun to drive.

Overall verdict: I'm glad I got the 8 series. It was a huge upgrade. However, this car is not that thrilling for me. It's a sports sedan or a GT or a German muscle car or whatever you want to call it, but it doesn't seem to have the same edginess that my M340i did, and I admit that I can attribute a lot of that to the exhaust that I had on that car. It needs to sound just a tad bit more aggressive. But I am still very happy with it.

Thanks for reading

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 6
fmzip1652.50
MACHT266.50
snowbimmer5338.00
hinckley3492.50
      02-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

More people have a 3series so there's a bigger market out there for aftermarket parts. It's a double edged sword for us.
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW1020.50
      02-07-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Overall verdict: I'm glad I got the 8 series. It was a huge upgrade. However, this car is not that thrilling for me. It's a sports sedan or a GT or a German muscle car or whatever you want to call it, but it doesn't seem to have the same edginess that my M340i did, and I admit that I can attribute a lot of that to the exhaust that I had on that car. It needs to sound just a tad bit more aggressive. But I am still very happy with it.

Thanks for reading

Take it on a couple of 4,000 mile trips anywhere west of Denver, between Mexico and Canada, and get back to me. This is a big, fast, luxurious cruiser that melts miles.

Don't pretend it's anything else. A Z4 would probably be a riot. Would I want to go 4,000 miles in it over 2 weeks? Doubtful.

At 18,000 miles, my exhaust seems to be coming into its own. Not super loud, but a great rumble to it.

Last edited by snowbimmer; 02-08-2023 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 7
      02-07-2023, 10:04 PM   #4
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Don't pretend it's anything else. A Z4 would probably be a riot. Would I want to go 4,000 miles in it in 2 weeks? Doubtful.
You're right, the Z4 isn't a highway cruiser and neither is the M340i. That's the #1 reason I got rid of my 3 series is that I didn't find it engaging at all to drive on the highway. The Z4 is plenty fun to drive though. I guess it depends what your driving requirements are.

Rob
Appreciate 3
fmzip1652.50
snowbimmer5338.00
      02-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #5
BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
I used to have a 440xi GC with MPPSK exhaust, and tbh I often got near asleep driving that on highway…
Not so with the 8 so far! The 8 has made me looking forward to highway trips…
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5338.00
Accentu8705.00
      02-08-2023, 02:01 AM   #6
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I feel like you should have went for a coupe if the gc doesn’t give you enough thrill. Would also get more looks
Appreciate 1
Accentu8705.00
      02-08-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
I feel like you should have went for a coupe if the gc doesn’t give you enough thrill. Would also get more looks
^ I need the full sized rear seats

Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 11:28 AM   #8
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
Also, steering in 8 is MUCH better than any 3-series on the highway. 8 just tracks, 3 series requires almost constant corrections, even if only minute. Is exhausting and gets old really quickly. Not just me either, Thomas on Autogefhul has said same about 3 more than once.

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 2
TupperBMW1020.50
      02-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #9
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Many of you have now commented on how great of a highway cruiser this is. Interestingly, I haven't yet done a long highway drive with this thing yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Only other issue with this car is how easily you can bump the front when parking. Today I ran into a snowbank while parking. That front splitter really is vulnerable. Gotta be careful

Appreciate 2
fmzip1652.50
      02-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #10
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
Quote:
Many of you have now commented on how great of a highway cruiser this is. Interestingly, I haven't yet done a long highway drive with this thing yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Only other issue with this car is how easily you can bump the front when parking. Today I ran into a snowbank while parking. That front splitter really is vulnerable. Gotta be careful
ABI- Although I use 360 view too.

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 2
TupperBMW1020.50
KB7120.00
      02-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #11
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:

Totally agree, I back into every space
Appreciate 2
TupperBMW1020.50
      02-08-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
ArcticWhite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix

200 cell cats and an aftermarket exhaust is a must do on the 8 if you like engine music. My gas mileage has dropped significantly since doing that, as the sound from this V8 under load is borderline exotic. I've been really happy with the Fi exhaust I put on.
Like you, I do prefer the sportier feel of the 3 series we have. And I do not think the 8 brings enough to the table to justify the price difference. But the looks, sound and comfort means I would do it all again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:57 PM   #13
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticWhite View Post
200 cell cats and an aftermarket exhaust is a must do on the 8 if you like engine music. My gas mileage has dropped significantly since doing that, as the sound from this V8 under load is borderline exotic. I've been really happy with the Fi exhaust I put on.
Like you, I do prefer the sportier feel of the 3 series we have. And I do not think the 8 brings enough to the table to justify the price difference. But the looks, sound and comfort means I would do it all again.
Apologies if you went into this before, but I've been looking at that very exhaust, sans the 200 cell cats.

But I've done 200 cell cats before on a car, my only concern is getting a CEL. How has your experience with that been?

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:26 PM   #14
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:

Use your parking cameras, even when pulling in to a spot so you can avoid that.

The only thing I would say I wish was better on the 8 series is the seating comfort. They are a little better than the seats in my X6 were though. It's those stiff side bolsters on the bottom cushions.... I always have issues with my left thigh getting uncomfortable after a while.

I sat in an I7 today and it has absolutely super comfortable seats! I didn't want to get out of the car I was so comfortable. The 32 speaker B&W was really good too! A big car though!
Appreciate 3
BTWCD86.00
TupperBMW1020.50
      02-10-2023, 10:50 PM   #15
ArcticWhite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix

No CEL from the cats. The Fi exhaust has great sound, it is just a little low on volume for my liking without the cats.
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW1020.50
      03-26-2023, 09:53 AM   #16
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
I'll mirror your thoughts. Loved my m340 for almost 4yrs, but never used the rear seats and liked the noise from my redeye hellcat charger more. 850 vert seems to bridge the gap and works in the same dd capacity the 340 did for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Yep and it will bottom out hitting the front splitter in drain culverts on the road (that also act as a reverse speed bump). Took some time for me to get used to the ones in my area with some more ove an aggressive dip then others.

As others pointed out, PDC and 3D view are your friend. Sometimes it's hit or miss for PDC and the cameras to always imengage but just press the parking button and they light up. As you approach something in the front the 3D will switch to an overhead view and there is a black box projected to help avoid the bumper/splitter. It's a little aggressive, i.e., extra space so you can still inch up a little but best not to especially for parking bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #18
gnr4all
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive SB

Hey tupperbmw, thanks for the write-up. I'm also coming out of an M340 and I'm considering a 2020 M850 coupe. I wanted to know after a few months how you feel about the m850. Do you like it better than the M340. Also, what's your gas mileage like on the m850. I ride the m340 hard all highways and average around 17mpg. I'm wondering what that will equate to riding the m850 hard on the highway. One more thing, I heard the car runs through tires really quickly. What's your experience with that?
Quote:
Well, I figured I would review this car against my prior car (M340i), which I also adored.

Where I prefer the M850:

The V8 engine. Sorry B58, I love ya, really do. But this V8 is so smooth and powerful. I mean, I just love driving this thing. I know that prior generations had their issues, but the current N63 is among the great V8's in existence right now and I think that automotive history will review it in a positive light.

Looks. The GC is gorgeous. Looks exactly like a GT, and a car for a professional/executive who is going places. But it doesn't stop there--after all, a 7 series has that. The car is just beautiful. It is a bit rarer. It's a work of art, IMO

Interior build quality. Definitely a more luxurious interior than the 3 series was. But that's expected given the higher price.

Ride quality: A much softer and gentler ride than my 3 series had, where you felt every bump on the road. However, on my current car I have the Extreme contact Conti all seasons, while on the M340i I had the runflat Pirelli's, and that certainly could be contributing to the difference.

Where they are equal:

Infotainment/tech. Pretty much the same for both cars I've had. My 3 series didn't have the auto-cruise-self-driving thingy that my 8 series has (and which I haven't yet used), nor did my 3 series have gesture control (oh no! what to do without that?). But besides that, the Apple carplay, infotainment, tech, etc is pretty much identical across the BMW lineup, it seems.

Where the M340i excels:

One thing I miss about the 3 series as that there seems to be a more thriving aftermarket scene for these cars than the 8 series, and it's more affordable. I loved how easily I could get a nonvalved, mufflerless exhaust for that car. I didn't do any other mods but I know that there is a lot that can be, and has been, done by many enthusiasts with that car.

Handling. The M850i handles remarkably well for its size, but it still isn't as nimble as the 3 series. The 3 series just darts around every little curve and, for it not being a proper sports car, was still really fun to drive.

Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 02:56 PM   #19
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:

Where I prefer the M850:

Where they are equal:

Where the M340i excels:

Thanks for reading
Put some wider wheels and tires on and it becomes much more stable. Go as wide as you can. I'll do custom wheels next year , 295 front and 305 rear.

You could do the KW V3 as well to get the handling sharper.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #20
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr4all View Post
Hey tupperbmw, thanks for the write-up. I'm also coming out of an M340 and I'm considering a 2020 M850 coupe. I wanted to know after a few months how you feel about the m850. Do you like it better than the M340. Also, what's your gas mileage like on the m850. I ride the m340 hard all highways and average around 17mpg. I'm wondering what that will equate to riding the m850 hard on the highway. One more thing, I heard the car runs through tires really quickly. What's your experience with that?
I'm not tupperbmw, but my M850i convertible gets pretty good gas mileage so I have no complaints there. I don't run my car hard though.

Rob
Appreciate 0