M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Advice on buying M8

08-03-2023, 12:50 PM   #1
Step
Rep
Drives: Audi s8

Advice on buying M8

HI. I've been reading all the forum posts for a while now and you guys are amazing. a big greeting from Switzerland.

I currently drive a 2021 Audi S8. I am very satisfied but I have just started working at a BMW dealership and I would have many advantages driving a BMW.

I'm in negotiation for a M8 2023, black exterior and black/yellow interior with all alcantara. beautiful car. I did a test ride and felt it was a bit too harsh.

I wanted to ask the owners how they find themselves with cars for use every day? Problems? I was surprised at the rear space.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

It's the perfect mix of power and luxury. It can get to any gap, few cars can keep up with it. It is very comfortable, the carbon buckets are awesome, if you aren't too large. I drove it 500 miles in one clip, stopping for gas once. It has huge range, almost 480 miles. The B&W stereo is very nice.
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4141.50
snareman9257.00
      08-03-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Im on my second M8; that says volumes about my personal love for the car. Its the perfect mix of style, balance, luxury, and speed on regular roads. Its dual personality can mean a possible track day but in reality its a GT car that looks and drives the part.

I enjoy it immensely and now that the Coupe has been nixed and limited in 2023 production its even more unique. The GC (which was my first M8) is still being produced. I like the Coupe slightly more for the driving aspect with the shorter wheelbase but the GC was quite the looker too.

As for ride harshness, I know thats more of a derivative of the roads you are on (the cars come with 35 series tires of course). My roads are very well paved and therefore the car makes more sense but on rough patches in LA or other parts it can be annoying because the EDC setup is too taut in Sport Plus IMHO. My 992 GTS serves up the undulations much better but thats the amazing Porsche chassis/damper dynamics. I never drive my M8 in Sport Plus via the EDC as its too bouncy and taut. I do think Sport is the proper/happy medium. I dont drive people in my coupe much but if you are wanting rear space in regards to seating then the GC will make more sense.

My rides:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 5
      08-03-2023, 02:40 PM   #4
Step
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Im on my second M8; that says volumes about my personal love for the car. Its the perfect mix of style, balance, luxury, and speed on regular roads. Its dual personality can mean a possible track day but in reality its a GT car that looks and drives the part.

I enjoy it immensely and now that the Coupe has been nixed and limited in 2023 production its even more unique. The GC (which was my first M8) is still being produced. I like the Coupe slightly more for the driving aspect with the shorter wheelbase but the GC was quite the looker too.

As for ride harshness, I know thats more of a derivative of the roads you are on (the cars come with 35 series tires of course). My roads are very well paved and therefore the car makes more sense but on rough patches in LA or other parts it can be annoying because the EDC setup is too taut in Sport Plus IMHO. My 992 GTS serves up the undulations much better but thats the amazing Porsche chassis/damper dynamics. I never drive my M8 in Sport Plus via the EDC as its too bouncy and taut. I do think Sport is the proper/happy medium. I dont drive people in my coupe much but if you are wanting rear space in regards to seating then the GC will make more sense.

My rides:

Thanks for all the information. do you have alcantara on the dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
I did on the GC but not on the coupe ... Its optically nice but you will never touch it unless you are into that pervy stuff
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 05:13 PM   #6
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
HI. I've been reading all the forum posts for a while now and you guys are amazing. a big greeting from Switzerland.

I currently drive a 2021 Audi S8. I am very satisfied but I have just started working at a BMW dealership and I would have many advantages driving a BMW.

I'm in negotiation for a M8 2023, black exterior and black/yellow interior with all alcantara. beautiful car. I did a test ride and felt it was a bit too harsh.

I wanted to ask the owners how they find themselves with cars for use every day? Problems? I was surprised at the rear space.
I never drove an M8 but one of the main reasons I didn't get the M8 was because most reviews say the ride is very stiff so I went with the B8. It only has a few less HP than the M8 but the ride quality of a luxury sedan.
Attached Images

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
I have not seen how to order that except with the bucket/racing seats. I would love to have alcantara on the dash with regular seats though.
I have it now with the racing seats so thinking of my next move in a year or two

EDIT: Figured it out and somehow I've missed this all along. An option with certain color interiors only. New to BMW lol

Last edited by Kponti; 08-07-2023 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Welcome! I've had my M8 for about a year now and love it. It does have the alcantara dash and while I think I would rather have had the all leather dash and was concerned about how the alcantara would look and wear it hasn't been a problem.

I'd been driving my X3 for a few months before I picked up the M8 and immediately noticed how much stiffer it was in comparison. Not bad stiff, just more stiff. As a daily driver though its been great. In comfort mode it's just right and if I want some extra sportiness I can go to sport plus. It doesn't seem too stiff if that's your concern with it. More stiff than a floaty Lexus, but perfect for a sport coupe.

On interior space for being as big of a car as it is is surprises me how it has less interior space than my M4 and less storage options. It's not a car I'd want to be in the back seat of but I can't imagine many people are buying it with that in mind.

Do you get some decent discounts on it working for a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #9
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
How crazy is that snareman I had an M4 then X3 and M8. To OP nothing better than an M8. Schoolboy smile on my face every single time.
Appreciate 1
snareman9257.00
      08-06-2023, 11:55 PM   #10
downeykp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M8 coupe 2019 Colorado ZR2

The back seat in the coupe is a total joke. Not really good for anyone. Getting in is hard and the headroom is also a joke.
The exhaust in the coupe is louder. I am not sure why. Vic you own both am I tone deaf or is the exhaust in the coupe louder?
GC seats 4 nicely. The coupe 2 very comfortably.
Appreciate 1
snareman9257.00
      08-07-2023, 12:52 AM   #11
Step
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Welcome! I've had my M8 for about a year now and love it. It does have the alcantara dash and while I think I would rather have had the all leather dash and was concerned about how the alcantara would look and wear it hasn't been a problem.

I'd been driving my X3 for a few months before I picked up the M8 and immediately noticed how much stiffer it was in comparison. Not bad stiff, just more stiff. As a daily driver though its been great. In comfort mode it's just right and if I want some extra sportiness I can go to sport plus. It doesn't seem too stiff if that's your concern with it. More stiff than a floaty Lexus, but perfect for a sport coupe.

On interior space for being as big of a car as it is is surprises me how it has less interior space than my M4 and less storage options. It's not a car I'd want to be in the back seat of but I can't imagine many people are buying it with that in mind.

Do you get some decent discounts on it working for a dealership?

Thanks for the reply. As I wrote I currently own an S8 with air suspension.:festa0030:

I did the test drive and the car is wonderful. I'm very undecided whether to take the m8. car is from February 2023 and has 9000 km (6000 miles)

car list 235000 CHF and the dealership offers me the car for 130000.
or wait a few months and order the new XM. by the end of the year there should be a 29% discount.

as their employee the discount is around 30% depending a bit on the model.

plus obviously all free services and car parts at a 50% discount:thumup:
Appreciate 1
snareman9257.00
      08-07-2023, 03:07 AM   #12
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

Having owned 3 S8's prior to purchasing my current 22 M8C GC, I can understand exactly your dilemma. Before purchasing my M8 I was a very loyal Audi owner and absolutely loved my S8's. They are amazing vehicles that strike the balance of luxury and performance nearly perfect. With that being said though, for me the new body style of the Audi just isn't sporty enough and imo is just boring to look at. This was my ultimate reason for the change. My last S8 Plus was a white 2018, which looked much more aggressive than the current body style, and I'll never get tired of looking at the M8! The BMW commands attention wherever you go and truly looks & feels like it's special.
Now to better answer your questions about the ride. My main concern prior to purchasing was also the ride quality as a daily driver, especially comparing it to the S8. In my experience, I have not been disappointed in the slightest. In fact just the opposite, the more I drive the M8 the more I like it. It is more than comfortable on a daily commute, and in comfort mode will soak up most bumps without any complaints. The interior is beautiful and BMW has paid great attention in making you feel like you are driving something special. (The newer Audi's felt this less and less to me) I had zero complaints about the performance of the S8, but the M8 has taken this to a whole new level. Every time I drive the car I'm looking for the next opportunity to pin the gas pedal to the floor, and it always leaves me with a huge smile on my face.
Based on my experience and the added benefits that you have working for a BMW dealership, I would not hesitate from scooping up that 8 and realize for yourself how amazing these things are! Best of luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1287.50
      08-07-2023, 04:50 AM   #13
Step
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbry View Post
Having owned 3 S8's prior to purchasing my current 22 M8C GC, I can understand exactly your dilemma. Before purchasing my M8 I was a very loyal Audi owner and absolutely loved my S8's. They are amazing vehicles that strike the balance of luxury and performance nearly perfect. With that being said though, for me the new body style of the Audi just isn't sporty enough and imo is just boring to look at. This was my ultimate reason for the change. My last S8 Plus was a white 2018, which looked much more aggressive than the current body style, and I'll never get tired of looking at the M8! The BMW commands attention wherever you go and truly looks & feels like it's special.
Now to better answer your questions about the ride. My main concern prior to purchasing was also the ride quality as a daily driver, especially comparing it to the S8. In my experience, I have not been disappointed in the slightest. In fact just the opposite, the more I drive the M8 the more I like it. It is more than comfortable on a daily commute, and in comfort mode will soak up most bumps without any complaints. The interior is beautiful and BMW has paid great attention in making you feel like you are driving something special. (The newer Audi's felt this less and less to me) I had zero complaints about the performance of the S8, but the M8 has taken this to a whole new level. Every time I drive the car I'm looking for the next opportunity to pin the gas pedal to the floor, and it always leaves me with a huge smile on my face.
Based on my experience and the added benefits that you have working for a BMW dealership, I would not hesitate from scooping up that 8 and realize for yourself how amazing these things are! Best of luck!
Thanks for all the information. they are very useful especially since you had the s8. I am very satisfied with my s8, luxury and performance are wow but the line of the m8 is a completely different story. I see a bit of concluding a deal for the m8. :Freddo!:
Appreciate 1
Bankerbry404.50
      08-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #14
Bankerbry
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 21 M8CGC, 19 X7 M50

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. they are very useful especially since you had the s8. I am very satisfied with my s8, luxury and performance are wow but the line of the m8 is a completely different story. I see a bit of concluding a deal for the m8. :Freddo!:
Please keep us posted, I would love to know what you decide.
I completely agree with you that the S8 is an amazing car with great balance, but I also think you will appreciate everything that the M8 provides that the Audi does not. It's just simply more engaging to drive, and will put a smile on your face with every mile.
Good luck
Appreciate 0