M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Long term computer users

12-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #23
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I would still need glasses
My home office has dual 27" screens. I still need glasses to see because of the resolution. No sense having all that real estate if you're only going to clog it up with one app window or document.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #24
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
He's got a right arm like Popeye.
Dude, I keep it ambidextrous!
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12808.50
kscarrol8952.50
      12-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #25
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
'atta boy. A true Popeye!
Appreciate 1
JasonDot585.00
      12-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
You can use this Tommy.
My vision is fine, but WTF do I need a big-button calculator for?

Seriously, go see a good eye doctor. If it is just age-related changes you can decide when squinting is too annoying, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong with eyes, and it is WAY better to catch most of them early. If it is cataracts then the current procedures do work wonders - I couldn't believe how much I'd been missing until after the surgery (lens replacements). And after a lifetime of glasses/contacts, I now have 25/20 supervision (but do need readers for very close).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #27
Kool Kat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Garage List
2022 X6 M50i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
You can use this Tommy.
My vision is fine, but WTF do I need a big-button calculator for?

Seriously, go see a good eye doctor. If it is just age-related changes you can decide when squinting is too annoying, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong with eyes, and it is WAY better to catch most of them early. If it is cataracts then the current procedures do work wonders - I couldn't believe how much I'd been missing until after the surgery (lens replacements). And after a lifetime of glasses/contacts, I now have 25/20 supervision (but do need readers for very close).
Any experiences out there with progressives? I'm considering them. Currently just use readers. Distance is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #28
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Kat View Post
Any experiences out there with progressives? I'm considering them. Currently just use readers. Distance is fine.
Why get progressives then if you only need readers? They are expensive though a good solution if you need readers and glasses for seeing distances,
Appreciate 1
Esteban44731.00
      12-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
You can start fires with your mind!?!?!? Teach me?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #30
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

depnds of your eye I guess, since I'm in high school they told me Ill have issue with my eye because right is stronger than the left, and I'm sitting in back at school, because you know, cool kid.

Now , im 33, and still have no vision reduction. 80h+ / week of screen ; cell phone, work, tv.

ALL my devices got the software based blue light reduction.

My main PC monitor is designed to have eye care, it should have very effective blue filters , but also no flickers.

Flickerless devices are important too. This means, the back light really dim , and won't start flashing @high freq to 'simulate' a lower brightness.

Also use win 10 blue filter.

I do the 20-20-20 : every 20 min, look at 20' distance , for 20 sec

I have no glasses nor contacts. I do all this , because I dont want glases ( my grand father didn't required glasses until he hit 85yo, Im might have his genetic tho)

Here my screen : benq ew3270u eye care

Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4506.50
      12-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #31
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

Personally, I could never get used to these, or straight bifocals (and the bifocal contacts were completely useless to me). If you are using insurance (or can get a money-back offer) then try them out - some people really love them and it is simpler than swapping glasses all the time. Once I got into enough cataracts to make the surgery worthwhile I got the new lenses and haven't needed a/t but readers.

Side note about Lasik for any younger readers, if there are any. This can have substantial complications for people who get it young, especially once their eyes change in older age. If you are considering it, have a good long talk with a general eye doc (not the guy who only does Lasik - he's the guy to do the work if you need it, but probablby not an unbiaseed source of info on pitfalls). I work with a lot of military, and they push this for recruits who wear glasses so they can have perfect vision. It works, but as their eyes change they hit the stage of needing readers much faster, and can't wear contacts.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7570.00
      12-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #32
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Why get progressives then if you only need readers? They are expensive though a good solution if you need readers and glasses for seeing distances,
^^ This ^^

You don't need progressives if your only problem is seeing up close. Get readers, as said above.

My wife is nearsighted (can't see at distance) but needed a prescription so she could see up close as well and tried progressives and they didn't work for her. She's so stubborn she wouldn't try bifocals after that and now has glasses for distance and glasses for up close (computer glasses).

I tried progressives and like her they didn't work for me but tried bifocals and they worked great. As I mentioned above though because of cataract surgery really don't need glasses now except for driving and TV.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #33
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Or he can wait for the iPhone 20. In stores soon.
Looks like a Tesla dashboard, Ill take it
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #34
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I asked my optometrist if I could get a prescription for contact lenses. He said" you have nearsightedness, farsightedness, a stigmatism and central serous retinopathy. You're screwed." I reluctantly paid my bill.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13159.00
      12-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #35
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I asked my optometrist if I could get a prescription for contact lenses. He said" you have nearsightedness, farsightedness, a stigmatism and central serous retinopathy. You're screwed." I reluctantly paid my bill.
I too suffer from the aforementioned ailments, all of them. I started wearing contacts earlier this year, you know covid masks fog up my glasses. The contacts are worse than glasses. Left eye, astigmatism eye, contact will randomly pop out of my eye. Left eye is also central serious retinopathy eye. I was told nothing can be done about it. Do you get the circle in your vision too? I was told mine is from smoking and stress. Mine comes around about every 4-6 months and lasts for weeks. I end up with a green circle in the middle of my field of vision with either a concave or convex appearance to whatever I'm looking at. It makes mowing the yard in a straight line, blueprints and excel files a sheer pleasure.

I'm rocking the glasses today, but most days it's the contacts. I'm considering lasix in the near future.

My optometrist asked me to come in once a week to get x-rays the retinopathy subsided, then billed my insurance then billed me. On the last visit is when he told me there is nothing that can be done about it. Bastard.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #36
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My ophthalmologist uses lazerz to "tack the retina down "
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #37
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
My ophthalmologist uses lazerz to "tack the retina down "
I have diabetic retinopathy. Optho used lasers to seal some leakers. IF I blink just right, I can still see the seven spots.

Been in contacts since I turned 17.
Appreciate 0