M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

08-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #243
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
The garage has had my car for 3 weeks now and still no further forward, still can't get the driver assistance, 3D view or digital key to work.

How long do I leave it before I can legally take action, should I want to ?

Anyone else had experience of such a long drawn out repair process ?

Really do not know what to do for the best. Push for a refund, get a replacement or just wait longer. If they do get it sorted my confidence in the car ( and the dealership ) will be pretty low.

Suggestions please.
Three weeks of downtime for something like this is absurd. What are they telling you regarding what they’ve tried so far and what they intend to try?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #244
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Three weeks of downtime for something like this is absurd. What are they telling you regarding what they’ve tried so far and what they intend to try?
That was my thoughts too. They have reset the car many times, BMW Germany have apparently been recoding remotely and then getting the garage to reset and check. This is the latest message I got today.

We have attempted BMW’s recommendations and the car is still not showing the required driver assist and the key card is not working,

This was the dialogue, we are awaiting their next response,

I have done as you have requested. Additionally I have also carried a head unit reset and updated the Connected drive services, Driver assisted view is still not showing and still cannot activate the digital key. There doesn't seem to be any change in the CID menu. I have ordered a new digital key card but as expected, still cannot activate. I have clicked on 'reset all digital keys' and tried to assign the card but still no joy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #245
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, at least they are actively working on it. Is there a ConnectedDrive element to this problem - that is, are non-responsive ConnectedDrive phone-app commands part of the issue? It doesn’t seem that way, but if so, I may have a suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #246
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

My car is going in to BMW on Wednesday for the 07.2020 update.

Wish me luck!

M
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #247
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post

Wish me luck!

M
As we've come to say (too often) in the U.S.: "Thoughts and prayers."
Appreciate 1
msm2000uk178.00
      08-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #248
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hello everyone, as mentioned in another thread I got my "eyes" on a used (built 03.2019) M850i with just under 9000 KM and at a very good price as well as almost full options. It's a sunset orange one and I never had such a color so I am actually "daring" but at the same time I loved it when I saw it live.

https://ibb.co/qyHwj8W

After inquiring I found out the car has the following:

I-Level S18A-19-03-525

Of course I wish Android Auto and all the latest stuff and be up-to-date software-wise if it does bring benefits. However would you people advise to wait before upgrading? Is anyone aware of any issues with a March 2019 build/software where you'd say updating is vital?
Any thoughts are appreciated. I am not buying from BMW directly so it's something I will most probably have to take it to BMW myself for.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #249
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

EDIT: I was in error here. It was the March 2020 update that screwed the pooch, not the March 2019. I apologize for the confusion.

If the car was built in March 2019, you're probably OK, imo. If it was built earlier than that and was updated with the March 2019 software, I'd get that software out of there through an update or whatever. It's the mess that started this entire thread, which at this point is vying for the indoor length record. (One way to test it: Have the seller show you his/her ConnectedDrive phone app - if it communicates reliably and fully with the car, and if the iDrive APPs page has lots of apps on it, you're probably good.)

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-25-2020 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS606.00
      08-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #250
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the car was built in March 2019, you're probably OK, imo. If it was built earlier than that and was updated with the March 2019 software, I'd get that software out of there through an update or whatever. It's the mess that started this entire thread, which at this point is vying for the indoor length record. (One way to test it: Have the seller show you his/her ConnectedDrive phone app - if it communicates reliably and fully with the car, and if the iDrive APPs page has lots of apps on it, you're probably good.)
Thanks a lot for this suggestion. I know for a fact it's a March build (11.03.2019 to be specific). The I Level Step is in line with that so I am pretty sure it's the software that the car originally came with. Though regardless of the model I finally get, I will run the above-mentioned test.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #251
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Car is June 2019 and came with 05/2019 software. I bought it as a showroom model in March 2020. Not sure why they didn't run the 11/2019 software on it before they sold it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #252
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

CORRECTION: I was in error earlier today. It was the March 2020 update that screwed the pooch, not the March 2019. I apologize for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #253
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
EDIT: I was in error here. It was the March 2020 update that screwed the pooch, not the March 2019. I apologize for the confusion.

The connected drive app worked fine in my opinion, everything was there ( apple car play has subsequently disappeared since they worked on it though ).
The first issue was the radar sensors not working correctly after they updated it to 03/2020, it went back and they updated it to 07/2020 but the issue remained. It went back in to be sorted and they reset it all and 'reactivated' the radar sensors ( as this is needed after an update aprarently ).
They loaned me an 840i and after driving this I noticed many things were on it that were missing from mine. The main thing was the assisted drive, on this vehicle you get info on the dash and the HUD when you press the button on the steering wheel and options when you press it more times. I had none of this on my car, this is what they can not resolve.
The 3D view when parking assistant is on isn't there either.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #254
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The connected drive app worked fine in my opinion, everything was there ( apple car play has subsequently disappeared since they worked on it though ).
The first issue was the radar sensors not working correctly after they updated it to 03/2020, it went back and they updated it to 07/2020 but the issue remained. It went back in to be sorted and they reset it all and 'reactivated' the radar sensors ( as this is needed after an update aprarently ).
They loaned me an 840i and after driving this I noticed many things were on it that were missing from mine. The main thing was the assisted drive, on this vehicle you get info on the dash and the HUD when you press the button on the steering wheel and options when you press it more times. I had none of this on my car, this is what they can not resolve.
The 3D view when parking assistant is on isn't there either.
The Assisted Drive doesn't seem to be something BMW can put onto the car, but it can definitely be coded.

When I get mine back, aslong as they haven't messed anything up (I know my remap and existing coding will go), I'll probably pay someone to come and code the Assisted thing on.

M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #255
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
The Assisted Drive doesn't seem to be something BMW can put onto the car, but it can definitely be coded.

When I get mine back, aslong as they haven't messed anything up (I know my remap and existing coding will go), I'll probably pay someone to come and code the Assisted thing on.

M
I don't understand what you mean, when I bought the car it had the Tech pack and the visibility pack so I should have the driving assistant professional on the car.

BMW are now saying my car is too old to have the information on the HUD and dashboard.

Can anyone who has an M850i that was made before June 2019 tell me what information they get when they press the driver assist button on the steering wheel please.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #256
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Can anyone who has an M850i that was made before June 2019 tell me what information they get when they press the driver assist button on the steering wheel please.
November 2018 build. All driver assistance functions and displays are checked in iDrive settings.

I just re-tested using the steering wheel driver assist/distance control/cruise control buttons. I see all relevant driver assist info in the instrument panel screen. I didn't see it in the HUD, but my test was limited to residential streets - I believe I recall seeing that info in the HUD during highway driving, but I'm not certain about the HUD.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-26-2020 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #257
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean, when I bought the car it had the Tech pack and the visibility pack so I should have the driving assistant professional on the car.

BMW are now saying my car is too old to have the information on the HUD and dashboard.

First of all, what we get in the UK compared to those in the USA is very different for some reason. I can't explain why, but there are differing menus.

The Driving Assistant screen appeared as part of the 11.2019 update, but it required a little more effort than a simple update - and as such, many of us in the UK didn't get it.

The only people I know with it, have coded it privately. I asked BMW today, and they said it wasn't possible - but I know 3 people who have it, and ALL of them are cars before June 2019.

When I press the Driver Assist button on the steering wheel, I get two options - one for driving with the radar cruise control, and one for driving with the radar cruise control AND the lane-keeping/auto-steer.

In the instrument display, I don't have that cool looking Driving Assistant screen which shows a central lane and cars to the left and right. However, I will be asking someone to code it privately for me.

M
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #258
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

This is the view I get on the 840i but not on the M850i. BMW are saying that this is not available on any cars pre- November 2019. Weird there are Youtube videos from last Feb with it on.

Maybe I need to go down the coding route too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #259
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Today I signed the contract for a March 2019 build used but as good as new with just under (and certified) 9.000 KM. I am extatic and still cannot believe it. I will have to wait 3 weeks before all is ready, including the latest BMW software update. I have asked to have ALL ECUs updated to the latest I-STEP Level, which I hope they will diligently do. When I get to drive it, I will check indeed if the above-mentioned option is available. If not then I guess coding it will be the only way. Car comes with the driver assistant pro so expectations are there to have those features enabled in one way or another!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #260
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
First of all, what we get in the UK compared to those in the USA is very different for some reason. I can't explain why, but there are differing menus.

The Driving Assistant screen appeared as part of the 11.2019 update, but it required a little more effort than a simple update - and as such, many of us in the UK didn't get it.

The only people I know with it, have coded it privately. I asked BMW today, and they said it wasn't possible - but I know 3 people who have it, and ALL of them are cars before June 2019.

When I press the Driver Assist button on the steering wheel, I get two options - one for driving with the radar cruise control, and one for driving with the radar cruise control AND the lane-keeping/auto-steer.

In the instrument display, I don't have that cool looking Driving Assistant screen which shows a central lane and cars to the left and right. However, I will be asking someone to code it privately for me.

M
Thanks for the reply.

When you say ' a little more effort', do you know what it entails ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #261
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is the view I get on the 840i but not on the M850i. BMW are saying that this is not available on any cars pre- November 2019. Weird there are Youtube videos from last Feb with it on.

Maybe I need to go down the coding route too.
A friend of mine, with a 68 plate M850i, absolutely has that screen on her car.

It had to be coded in separately, and BMW told her it wasn't possible.

The only way you'll get it, is by paying a private coder to do it.

Where are you based?

M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #262
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Wish me luck!

M
So good news. The update hasn't harmed any of my settings, coding, remap, or features!

The bad news is that they claimed the update wasn't available for my 'batch'. This is BS in my opinion, as others with 2018 cars have been able to get 07.2020.

Anyway, not quite sure what to do now, and I may reach out to a private coder so that I don't have to lose the car for an entire day at a BMW dealership.

M
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS606.00
      08-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #263
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wish me luck!

M
So good news. The update hasn't harmed any of my settings, coding, remap, or features!

The bad news is that they claimed the update wasn't available for my 'batch'. This is BS in my opinion, as others with 2018 cars have been able to get 07.2020.

Anyway, not quite sure what to do now, and I may reach out to a private coder so that I don't have to lose the car for an entire day at a BMW dealership.

M
07.2020 works fine in my 11.2018 build M850i.
      08-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #264
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:

M
Thanks for your feedback and good to know that nothing got messed up! Do you know if they performed a complete software update (flashed car / all ECUs) or only the MGU headunit stuff and its dependencies?

I am curious to find out about some G15 coding options and reading more into that. I have coded my F cars before, but obviously some of the options aren't the same so I want to "study" this taking the necessary time. I also want to code my Live Cockpit scale to show 330 km/h instead of 260 km/h though this is by far not a priority now as I still have to get my hands on the car and see if all is running after the update they perform before handing it over to me for good.
Appreciate 0