M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My M8 convertible is toast. Hit at intersection @ 65mph

05-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #89
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
That looks nasty..hope you got away OK.

Damage like this on a brand new car, i'd push to have it totaled and opt for a new one.
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #90
hwaghela
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750 i X drive, BMW i8 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

Not a total loss. No frame damage. I had similar damage to my 2019 i8 with 3500 miles on it. Guess what insurance paid close to 75k to fix it and car drives perfect. Mine had more damage than yours. My front driver side wheel was bent from middle. So don’t worry insurance won’t Totalled it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #91
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Saw car today. Left wheel is caved in and right wheel is severely damaged and frame is sitting at least 1 1/2" lower. Should know tomorrow afternoon concerning frame damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #92
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Saw car today. Left wheel is caved in and right wheel is severely damaged and frame is sitting at least 1 1/2" lower. Should know tomorrow afternoon concerning frame damage.
As mentioned, the carbon core stuff will be be interesting re the frame...hope it's a total loss and you can move on with a new one.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #93
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I too am curious about how the prepaid lease works if the car is a total loss.

Hey guys and gals - NEVER take advice on insurance stuff from an Internet forum. Insurance laws vary from state to state.

It's OK to learn about filing for diminished value and stuff like that, but statements that start with "they must" are generally incorrect.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #94
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwaghela View Post
Quote:
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

[img]https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1589729902[/img]
Not a total loss. No frame damage. I had similar damage to my 2019 i8 with 3500 miles on it. Guess what insurance paid close to 75k to fix it and car drives perfect. Mine had more damage than yours. My front driver side wheel was bent from middle. So don't worry insurance won't Totalled it.
Have fun selling it! Hope is leased.

Black mark in Car Fax that will follow it anywhere.

$75K worth of damage? Sheesh

And how do you know what additional damage lurks beneath the car?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #95
hwaghela
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750 i X drive, BMW i8 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not a total loss. No frame damage. I had similar damage to my 2019 i8 with 3500 miles on it. Guess what insurance paid close to 75k to fix it and car drives perfect. Mine had more damage than yours. My front driver side wheel was bent from middle. So don't worry insurance won't Totalled it.

Been driving for few months and car was inspected by BMW after taking delivery from the Body Shop. So all good.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #96
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I too am curious about how the prepaid lease works if the car is a total loss.

Hey guys and gals - NEVER take advice on insurance stuff from an Internet forum. Insurance laws vary from state to state.

It's OK to learn about filing for diminished value and stuff like that, but statements that start with "they must" are generally incorrect.
+1 Good advice

I suggested to the op a while back to find out about MS insurance law just for the reasons you stated above.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #97
hilsman
Private
Rep

Current update: body shop taking panels off car, shock towers shot on both fronts, however, no obvious frame damage. Will know more next week. Estimate for repair 2-3 months. Oh well. Could have been much worse. Of the three drivers involved in wreck I'm the only one with insurance. Driver who hit me had no drivers license or insurance!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #98
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Current update: body shop taking panels off car, shock towers shot on both fronts, however, no obvious frame damage. Will know more next week. Estimate for repair 2-3 months. Oh well. Could have been much worse. Of the three drivers involved in wreck I'm the only one with insurance. Driver who hit me had no drivers license or insurance!!!!!
So that's it? They get let off with no financial burden? I'm not suggesting they could pay it given the circumstances but...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #99
hilsman
Private
Rep

Welcome to my world. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #100
hilsman
Private
Rep

And no ticket was given or arrest made!!!! That's the way it is down here. To add injury to insult of the 11 first responders/police none were wearing masks or using social distancing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #101
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Been driving for few months and car was inspected by BMW after taking delivery from the Body Shop. So all good.
Yes but given the choice would you pick an accident car over the same exact car accident free car?

A repaired car will never ever be the same no matter what the insurance company and the body would try to tell you otherwise.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      05-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #102
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And no ticket was given or arrest made!!!! That's the way it is down here. To add injury to insult of the 11 first responders/police none were wearing masks or using social distancing.

There you go...it's the hurray for me and - - - - you attitude that's becoming more and more of the norm these days.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #103
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:

There you go...it's the hurray for me and - - - - you attitude that's becoming more and more of the norm these days.
Huh?
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      05-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #104
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Huh?
Have you not heard of that saying/attitude before? Pretty well known...it's all about being selfish/self centered.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #105
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Huh?
Have you not heard of that saying/attitude before.? Pretty well known
I have. I was asking you to explain the intent of your post because I didn't understand it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #106
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Huh?
Have you not heard of that saying/attitude before.? Pretty well known
I have. I was asking you to explain the intent of your post because I didn't understand it.
Ah, I see the amendment you just made. I have my answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #107
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Echoing OP points/concerns/frustrations...

Driving without insurance or license very selfish especially to other driver suffering damage.

No masks or social distancing, also selfish...only worried about own vanity or social freedom, with no regard of possibly contaminating others. This is especially worrisome by first responders who are dealing will ill people often.

No ticket issued, outrageous.

Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
hilsman115.00
      05-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #108
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Quote:
WHAT? No tickets or arrest? Where do you live? That is insane...I hope they total it and you move on. Great to be unhurt.

I had someone run a stop sign and total my Lexus GX and the Arlington VA police gave him a citation on the spot! I have Allstate and they delivered. But believe it or not he had Farmers Insurance and they refused to pay and Allstate took them to arbitration and got their money back. Travelers claimed that he was stopped at the median and I went off the street and hit him. If the police did not give him a ticket for running a stop sign I do not know what Allstate could have done. Some Insurance companies are liars and thieves.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #109
hilsman
Private
Rep

Yes it's a mess how things are handled here...Jackson, MS. Be glad you live elsewhere!Looked at police report and my car was listed as only having minor top damage. Wtf. It's a convertible. No mention of impact to driver's side. Also I was listed as having no injuries though I told them my head was thrown against door and I suspected a minor concussion. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #110
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Quote:
Yes it's a mess how things are handled here...Jackson, MS. Be glad you live elsewhere!Looked at police report and my car was listed as only having minor top damage. Wtf. It's a convertible. No mention of impact to driver's side. Also I was listed as having no injuries though I told them my head was thrown against door and I suspected a minor concussion. Lol
I hope you let them call an ambulance and take you to the hospital! This way you have injury documented.
Appreciate 0