M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My M8 convertible is toast. Hit at intersection @ 65mph

05-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #67
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

That's getting fixed. Check into a diminish value claim though. Could be quite hefty on a car like this.
Agreed about diminished value claim. Push hard on it, might help you get it totaled.
The diminished value claim has no impact on the decision to total a car or repair it.

OP, my M2C was hit on the front drivers side at a much slower speed. 27k repair bill. Nationwide did not and would not total. 2.5k diminishes value. All I. All they spent 30k to fix a 50k car and I fought with them exhaustingly to total it. They said according to Texas state law, can be up to 100% of value before they need to total it. Nationwide is a shit company though so maybe you'll have better luck.

YMMV

Glad you're ok though and I really hope you leased it.
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #68
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Deep South. Mississippi.
What does MS law say about totaling, any threshold?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #69
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

That's getting fixed. Check into a diminish value claim though. Could be quite hefty on a car like this.
Agreed about diminished value claim. Push hard on it, might help you get it totaled.
The diminished value claim has no impact on the decision to total a car or repair it.

OP, my M2C was hit on the front drivers side at a much slower speed. 27k repair bill. Nationwide did not and would not total. 2.5k diminishes value. All I. All they spent 30k to fix a 50k car and I fought with them exhaustingly to total it. They said according to Texas state law, can be up to 100% of value before they need to total it. Nationwide is a shit company though so maybe you'll have better luck.

YMMV

Nationwide is not on your side ‼️
Poochie9099.00
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #70
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV

Nationwide is not on your side ‼️
In my experience, Allstate is.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #71
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Careful. These guys make initial estimate low, as a superficial damage. The insurance accepts and agree to fix. Then the body shop start working. As they peel the car, they will find more problems and the quotation is being resubmitted while body shop works. In my case they resubmitted about 3 times. Ended up fixed. I think they should do a better estimate work at initial submission, as close as possible to the real cost to fix. It would increase chances to have the car totaled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedm1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:

[img]https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1589729902[/img]
Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!
100% percent of cars hit can be repaired.

This car should reach total loss by value or frame damage.

That entire frontend is toast
Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan92 View Post
Sorry about the accident but this definitely does looking fixable. I understand everyone here saying they wouldn't want a vehicle after an accident (I wouldn't either!) but that's not how the real world works. Working for one of the major insurance companies, we wouldn't total a vehicle unless repairs exceeded 70% of the value of the car, you can't just demand a whole new car because you were in an accident.
It's common...

They leave repairs open for supplemental damages

It's unreasonable to expect a tear down at body shop as soon as the car is in an accident...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #72
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bastards!

most" carriers are somewhat ethical.

Did they adjust your premium?

When you obtained the policy it was inline with new car value.

That car would be worth $14k at best after repair.

They now insuring a $14k car

Wonder if it was stolen what value they would of assessed
I did not mention the rest of the Acura saga since it was not relevant to the OP, but since you asked . . .
I wound up not getting the car back after it was repaired. The insurance companies and attorneys did not communicate well. One company decided to fix it while the other wrote me a check. I did go to the shop to see it out of curiosity and was impressed that it looked new, but I never drove it again. My insurance premiums were not affected since I was not at fault.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!

Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Quote:
State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Quote:
Sorry about the accident but this definitely does looking fixable. I understand everyone here saying they wouldn't want a vehicle after an accident (I wouldn't either!) but that's not how the real world works. Working for one of the major insurance companies, we wouldn't total a vehicle unless repairs exceeded 70% of the value of the car, you can't just demand a whole new car because you were in an accident.
Quote:
Quote:
Bastards!

I did not mention the rest of the Acura saga since it was not relevant to the OP, but since you asked . . .
I wound up not getting the car back after it was repaired. The insurance companies and attorneys did not communicate well. One company decided to fix it while the other wrote me a check. I did go to the shop to see it out of curiosity and was impressed that it looked new, but I never drove it again. My insurance premiums were not affected since I was not at fault.
I'm guessing The at fault party paid for repairs and their was no subrogation.

The change in premium I was referring to was the market value of car not points on a license; good stuff not at fault.

The money you received may have been punitive damages the attorney negotiated or pain and suffering. Even if you don't treat with a dr. You can get pain and suffering.

Nice it worked out for ya in the end!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #73
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bastards!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV

The system is rigged...

Sucks cause as the insured you forced to play by insurance company rules.

This is new to me;
Insurance companies determine a car to be totaled when the vehicle's cost of repair plus the salvage value is more than the actual cash value of the vehicle.

When I did claims once the car got up to 50 or near 50% ACV I'd submit for TL

As a long time car enthusiast some claims were entertaining

I remember a Claimant trying to get more money.

I asked how was the car running before the accident?

Told him I'm paying as if your Audi 5000 was mint no issues. He got silent lol

Have a nice day!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #74
Blink2814
Rep
Drives: 650 convertible

I used to work at an auto body shop as an estimator, normally this appears to be totally repairable. However, I don’t know if people are considering the “Carbon Core” of this vehicle. That could be a game changer and instant total loss. Keep us posted, as you have noticed the intense interest in this topic. And yes, if it was leased this is an excellent example of why Zero DAS is ideal, if purchased than you are relying on blue book or NADA or however the insurance company comes up with current value.

Hope it all works out somewhat in your favor, glad you are ok after the incident. And I feel for you, man I would be pissed if my car which I worked on a deal for 2 months got totaled after only a few months.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11279.50
clee1982796.00
      05-20-2020, 02:51 AM   #75
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2814 View Post
I used to work at an auto body shop as an estimator, normally this appears to be totally repairable. However, I don’t know if people are considering the “Carbon Core” of this vehicle. That could be a game changer and instant total loss. Keep us posted, as you have noticed the intense interest in this topic. And yes, if it was leased this is an excellent example of why Zero DAS is ideal, if purchased than you are relying on blue book or NADA or however the insurance company comes up with current value.

Hope it all works out somewhat in your favor, glad you are ok after the incident. And I feel for you, man I would be pissed if my car which I worked on a deal for 2 months got totaled after only a few months.
You bring up a great point, interesting to see how this plays out...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:17 AM   #76
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason340Msport View Post
Doesn't look significant but could easily be totaled depending what they find underneath. But the biggest thing that could help is the laser headlights. They run $7-8k!
I had one of laser headlights fail and it was replaced under warranty. Excluding Dutch tax the one headlight part was €3900!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:15 AM   #77
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Be happy to take it off your hands as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #78
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Sadly am not savvy enough to send pics. I could text them to you????
If it get's totalled he wil lose at least 25% of the original cost price of the car. Since it's also a brand new car, i would opt to repair it if chassis is not bend.

If it's a lease car it's no problem if it's considered a total loss. But for people who bought theirs car, they will lose money with a total loss.

You have the problem, that the car has been damaged and thus paint will be not factory anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #79
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

It's a prepaid two year lease with gap
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #80
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
With leasing you are okay if it's totaled.
It's sad though the damage after only 4000 miles
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      05-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #81
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

[QUOTE=2011ninja;26200125]I'm guessing The at fault party paid for repairs and their was no subrogation.

The change in premium I was referring to was the market value of car not points on a license; good stuff not at fault.

The money you received may have been punitive damages the attorney negotiated or pain and suffering. Even if you don't treat with a dr. You can get pain and suffering.

Nice it worked out for ya in the end![/QyUOTE]

The punitive damages, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, and medical expenses were all resolved much later. I never learned exactly why the insurance companies took different tacks on the repairs. I guess it worked out financially, but I would rather have a fully functioning spleen. And more on topic to the BMW forum, I am thankful today to drive a car that would better protect me in a similar accident.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3319.50
      05-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #82
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
If it's prepaid doesn't that mean you lose the money? With the exception of the at fault drivers insurance company reimbursing you for it.
      05-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #83
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

If the hit was at 65 MPH it held up incredibly well.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #84
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
insurance companiez are weird. they paid $5500 in repairs on a car that's worth $7000 in private and $6000-6500 in trade in before a carfax collision.

so i'm stuck with my shitbox but such is life
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      05-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #85
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

brutal
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #86
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Not an expert, but this car doesn't seem totalled at all.

Certainly since it's this new, the repair invoice will be clearly less than a sudden write-off minus the wreck value (which would be about 40% of new value). Of course, all unfounded guesses. But nonetheless, I would be surprised to see this become a total loss case.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #87
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

This car looks far from totalled. Just get it repaired by BMW and it will be just fine.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      05-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #88
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I didn't read 4 pages of comments. A few questions

Did any airbags deploy? If airbag(s) deployed then that'll add many thousands to the repair. Or tens of thousands...

Who is your insurance carrier and do you have an agreed value endorsement on your policy? If so, your car should still be valued at every penny you paid for it. Otherwise depreciation will be taken. Obviously, if a lease, not your problem as you have gap insurance.

Is car owned or leased? Diminished value claims are commonly rejected for lease cars since you don't own it. This is statutory in many states.

Good luck however it works out and thankfully no one was hurt.