M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion My M8 convertible is toast. Hit at intersection @ 65mph

05-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #45
Bra B
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

I can feel your pain. My X1 2.0D X-drive had a T-bone collusion with an old lady driving an unlicensed Opel Corsa. The X1 was barely three months old when it happened. Previous 118i MSport was paled into from behind by a mini bus taxi. Neither were insured, the old lady and taxi driver.
      05-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #46
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

To those that question speed of impact vs damage. After the car hit me it plowed into a grass field and came to rest well over 100 yds away!!! That's after hitting two cars!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #47
Jaszm
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i

Hope you're okay! That is so awful, what a careless idiot that guy was..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #48
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan92 View Post
Sorry about the accident but this definitely does looking fixable. I understand everyone here saying they wouldn't want a vehicle after an accident (I wouldn't either!) but that's not how the real world works. Working for one of the major insurance companies, we wouldn't total a vehicle unless repairs exceeded 70% of the value of the car, you can't just demand a whole new car because you were in an accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedm1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

[img]https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1589729902[/img]
Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!
100% percent of cars hit can be repaired.

This car should reach total loss by value or frame damage.

That entire frontend is toast
Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Quote:
Sorry about the accident but this definitely does looking fixable. I understand everyone here saying they wouldn't want a vehicle after an accident (I wouldn't either!) but that's not how the real world works. Working for one of the major insurance companies, we wouldn't total a vehicle unless repairs exceeded 70% of the value of the car, you can't just demand a whole new car because you were in an accident.
Lol!!!!

Ahhhh to be young again...

What flavor kool-aid do they serve at you carrier?

It's a good thing the body shop and the field adjusters grease each other's palms to avoid this type of BS.

🤫
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #49
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Doesn't look significant but could easily be totaled depending what they find underneath. But the biggest thing that could help is the laser headlights. They run $7-8k!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #50
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
To those that question speed of impact vs damage. After the car hit me it plowed into a grass field and came to rest well over 100 yds away!!! That's after hitting two cars!!
I hope they were arrested.

Glad your okay.
      05-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #51
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I hope they were arrested.

Glad your okay.
Could have been someone having a seizure. Happened to me in a bad accident where the dude pinballed off about a dozen cars. Might have been distracted or under the influence, but we don't really know until the facts come out.

Jim
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #52
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
The speed the other car was travelling is not necessarily the "speed of impact". The damage on your car is clearly not that of a 65mph impact.

Regardless, glad you are OK and sad day for the M8 . Wish you all the best for a satisfactory resolution of this mishap!

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
scrammer420.50
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #53
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I would also be concerned with the paint matching up 100% as that's a tricky metallic color especially in sunlight.

With regard to the speed it wasn't a direct t-bone type impact and a 35' side swipe type hit according to the OP...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      05-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #54
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Was hit at intersection by driver going approximately 65 mph in the drivers side fender/wheel area. Impact at about 35 degree angle. Three more feet rearward and I'd have been toast! Knocked car about six feet and then wedged on curb. Driver of other car had already hit one car before hitting me and was still at that rate of speed!! Ran light. Fortunately no one seriously injured. Suspect he was uninsured. Will find out tomorrow.

At this point it awaits evaluation for damage by adjuster. Car only 4 months old and less than 4000 miles. Aarrgh. Those that have more knowledge than I please offers opinions as to what to push for. Should I expect it will be totaled or repaired? With that force of impact I would imagine structural damage. Thx

You don't want that car back. Repaired it will never ever be the same. Also the tear down can reveal hidden damage. And not to mention diminished value, accident history and a black mark in Car Fax.

This pretty upsetting but glad you made it out unharmed, a testament to the safety and solid construction of these cars.

Pray/push this one gets totaled. You can always order a new one.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      05-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #55
hilsman
Private
Rep

Yes it most definitely was a glancing blow.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #56
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can definitely be fixed! Especially with all the stuff going on now insurance adjusters just did everything through pictures so odds are they'll cough up the money especially on the high msrp. Good luck with everything glad you're okay! Cars can be replaced humans can't!
100% percent of cars hit can be repaired.

This car should reach total loss by value or frame damage.

That entire frontend is toast
Just depends on the adjuster to be honest, I've seen a lot worse get fixed. 35k plus damages get repaired with the whole front end smashed so bad you couldn't tell what car it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
State Farm decided to repair an Acura I had years ago which had far worse damage than this. A ~40 MPH T-bone to the driver's door from an SUV running a stop sign pushed me into a fire hydrant, caused 4 of the 6 airbags to pop, and broke every piece of glass. I was pushed so hard that my right hip took out the center console. EMTs cut the driver's door off to extract me. The repair was about $18k on a new car worth $30k, and they would not total it. Everything I thought I knew about what substantiates a total loss was wrong. Fortunately it was leased, and I have only leased since.
Quote:
Lol!!!!

Ahhhh to be young again...

What flavor kool-aid do they serve at you carrier?

It's a good thing the body shop and the field adjusters grease each other's palms to avoid this type of BS.

🤫
Insurance companies are not your friend

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 8
hilsman115.00
2011ninja3324.00
///M TOWN13117.00
JMAN1111227.00
paliknight2186.50
scrammer420.50
PhatLyfe984.00
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #57
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Glad your okay but unfortuently it seems like it's fixable. Seems like the axle took most of the impact
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      05-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #58
hilsman
Private
Rep

Guy wasn't having a seizure. Got out and promptly called someone to pick him up. I'm a physician I assure he was neurologicallly sound. Notorious intersection. Police and multiple eye witnesses said he was going 65-70 when he ran red light!
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Tejael64.00
      05-19-2020, 04:38 PM   #59
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

This hit had initial estimate of $27k before they took anything apart. Car was totaled.
Attached Images

2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #60
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Bastards!

most" carriers are somewhat ethical.

Did they adjust your premium?

When you obtained the policy it was inline with new car value.

That car would be worth $14k at best after repair.

They now insuring a $14k car

Wonder if it was stolen what value they would of assessed
I did not mention the rest of the Acura saga since it was not relevant to the OP, but since you asked . . .
I wound up not getting the car back after it was repaired. The insurance companies and attorneys did not communicate well. One company decided to fix it while the other wrote me a check. I did go to the shop to see it out of curiosity and was impressed that it looked new, but I never drove it again. My insurance premiums were not affected since I was not at fault.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #61
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Careful. These guys make initial estimate low, as a superficial damage. The insurance accepts and agree to fix. Then the body shop start working. As they peel the car, they will find more problems and the quotation is being resubmitted while body shop works. In my case they resubmitted about 3 times. Ended up fixed. I think they should do a better estimate work at initial submission, as close as possible to the real cost to fix. It would increase chances to have the car totaled.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #62
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:

That's getting fixed. Check into a diminish value claim though. Could be quite hefty on a car like this.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #63
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Guy wasn't having a seizure. Got out and promptly called someone to pick him up. I'm a physician I assure he was neurologicallly sound. Notorious intersection. Police and multiple eye witnesses said he was going 65-70 when he ran red light!
Don't sweat the naysayers, they just didn't read your first post properly where you clearly stated 35 dgr angle. What part of the country are you in?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      05-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #64
hilsman
Private
Rep

Deep South. Mississippi.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #65
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Quote:

That's getting fixed. Check into a diminish value claim though. Could be quite hefty on a car like this.
Agreed about diminished value claim. Push hard on it, might help you get it totaled.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #66
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
I hope he was given a serious citation for his absolutely horrific attempt at driving.