E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Catted DP's + Other Mods

05-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Catted DP's + Other Mods

Would appreciate peoples thoughts.

Now my car is out of warranty I'm going to do some additional upgrades, over and above what was installed recently since I passed the 3 year mark of course ...

I'm not after a dyno queen or 1/4 mile times, just a good bump in power on pump gas without over stressing the mechanical's too much.

So to compliment the mods I already have I'm looking at the following, wondering if anyone in Aus has tried any of these;

1) AR Design catted DP's - my exhaust already has the mid cats deleted, I don't want any smell or drone by going cat-less so am interested in these

2) AR Design secondary oil cooler - as I enjoy the odd track day I think managing oil temps is important

3) Upgraded radiator - yet to see many of these on the market, but want to increase both water cooling and tranny cooling. AR design apparently has one coming out shortly but I'm not sure as to what it will do tranny cooling wise?

4) Rob Beck stage 2 turbo's in his second batch assuming the first batch prove to be reliable , of course the Aussie peso had to crash didn't it . I acquired a of a set of RHD turbo cores already in the US for this purpose so the difficult part is done.

Plan is to trek down to Morabbin in Victoria when I finally get the turbo's so Andrew from Southern BM can install as he seams the main man when it comes to N54's in Aus, but that won't be until later in the year.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Is there a reason not to get catless downpipes and go back to using secondary cats?
(Apart from the obvious reason that you got rid of them previously).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Is there a reason not to get catless downpipes and go back to using secondary cats?
(Apart from the obvious reason that you got rid of them previously).
Fact I've already removed them is one aspect.

Also if I select the right catted DP's then the car will run okay without O2 sims, important if for some reason I need to remove the tune for a service or update by BMW.

Finally if I was ever put over the coals by the fuzz having primary (hi-flow) cats would be less of an issue vs full removal of the primaries.

At least that's my thought process....
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about whether I need both cats on my NA 325i. Apparently the primary cats in the standard 325i exhaust header are quite restrictive. I can see your point about avoiding the need for 02 sensor simulator.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Plan is to trek down to Morabbin in Victoria when I finally get the turbo's so Andrew from Southern BM can install as he seams the main man when it comes to N54's in Aus, but that won't be until later in the year.
Andrew is the man for everything BMW. Great guy who easily and professionally installed my PBX in my 325.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Well, I would go for catless DP's (I have some, but haven't installed them yet) and go for hi-flow or racing secondary cats. Apparently it is legal to have just two cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Ha66is
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 911 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Well, I would go for catless DP's (I have some, but haven't installed them yet) and go for hi-flow or racing secondary cats. Apparently it is legal to have just two cats.
Kinda wish I'd done that as opposed to what i've done (although my current lilly livered approach may've stopped me) :-)
Appreciate 0