BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion JB4 Tune

10-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
TommyD_WV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60 & 17 Boxster S

Question JB4 Tune

Does anyone have experience with the tune on an 850? Any issues? Can you feel the advertised HP/Torque gains?

https://burgertuning.com/collections/8-series-g14-g15/products/n63-n63tu-jb4-tuner
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
jaythree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i Coupe

I love my JB4 (2019 M850) The gains are legit! I ran a 3.22 0-60 which is pretty impressive. I haven't done a 1/4 mile yet. Absolutely no issues at all. No CEL, no engine roughness, nothing.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD_WV View Post
Does anyone have experience with the tune on an 850? Any issues? Can you feel the advertised HP/Torque gains?

https://burgertuning.com/collections/8-series-g14-g15/products/n63-n63tu-jb4-tuner
I was looking for an ECU tune, but all they had was a piggy back chip.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
TommyD_WV
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks! Did you purchase the bluetooth module and connect the OBDII through the firewall? Im trying to keep it as simple as possible....as I am not the most mechanical person.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD_WV View Post
Thanks! Did you purchase the bluetooth module and connect the OBDII through the firewall? Im trying to keep it as simple as possible....as I am not the most mechanical person.
You can drop the Bluetooth aspect if you're not going to fiddle with it. But the device works much, much better when it's informed as to gear, RPM, AFR, timing... even pedal/throttle travel. Any decent mechanic can wire the OBD II cable for you—it's a roughly 15 minute install for someone experienced with the S63 engine and the JB4.

The gains are not subtle—they'll hit you right in your abdomen and butt-dyno.
Appreciate 3
      10-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
jaythree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i Coupe

Yes I got the BT connector, simple install.
It's great to fiddle with the settings. (Thanks to Limey! )
Appreciate 1
limeypride4429.00
      10-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, M850i Coupe

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 01-28-2021 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, M850i Coupe

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 01-28-2021 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
TommyD_WV
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys! Talked me right into it.

Shipment is arriving tomorrow and install is scheduled at a shop recommended by BMS next week. After reading some of the “BMW can detect” and “pay to play” comments around the various forums, I am going to have a conversation with my SA before I install it. He is a car guy and I’d like to have his take on removing before routine maintenance, etc.

I will definitely stick with Maps 1 and 2 to be safe...not planning on any additional mods since it is a lease and I have yet to make it full term on any lease.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogujuhere View Post
I'm running this now on my m850 coupe. I really like it. No issues whatsoever post install. Car feels great. I got the bluetooth adapter which I do enjoy using. You can switch maps easily and read data via the adapter. Also you can log the information and send it to them for review via email just to make sure things are running right.

Install they say is like 15 minutes. Honestly took me like 90 minutes LOL.
The install is essentially connecting 2 connectors to the car, mounting the JB4 ecu and running the wires neatly and into the car to connect to the OBD port.

The problem is the one TMAP sensor for the drivers side is a huge pain in the ass. It was a big challenge for me to get it on without disassembling more than I needed to. The angle is really low and to maneuver your fingers like that isn't human haha.

Also I still ended up having to take it to a shop because in order to get the wire into the cabin for the OBD connection, it needs to go through a grommet and for the life of me I couldn't get it to the other side.

Paid $80 at a local shop to get that done and check on the rest of the install.
Long story short. Pay someone to install it and get on with your life lol.

After having it for a couple of weeks, I will say that it is worth the money.
Car runs like a train on the highway. Just keeps going and going.
Drivability I feel like is slightly better than stock. Reason I say this is because when I used to reverse out of my house on a hill without the jb4, I'd get a slight hesitation from the rpm's (it would drop a little and ever so slightly want to jerk). For whatever reason, it doesn't do that anymore.

The whole idea of keeping JB4 is that its undetectable from BMW if you take it off before servicing the car. (this is a very debatable subject). If you can pull that off, I would say its extremely worth it.0

I believe it raises boost from 16lbs to 22lbs if I remember correctly on MAP 2.

If you're going to be running pump gas, your map options are going to be strictly
MAP 0 = Stock map
MAP 1 = 91 Octane Fuel
Map 2 = 93 Octane Fuel

The rest of the maps aren't for you unless you start doing more supporting modifications like downpipes etc
my buddy is bmw mechanic and he says they can detect these chips, even if you take it off and try to "un" tune it, they can still see your boost and rpms, and can tell the engine map was modified and then fixed.

I don't know if that's 100% true on all bmws; but he seems pretty convincing that they can see all the JB4 and boot and tunes.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
I'm running this now on my m850 coupe. I really like it. No issues whatsoever post install. Car feels great. I got the bluetooth adapter which I do enjoy using. You can switch maps easily and read data via the adapter. Also you can log the information and send it to them for review via email just to make sure things are running right.

The install is essentially connecting 2 connectors to the car, mounting the JB4 ecu and running the wires neatly and into the car to connect to the OBD port.

The problem is the one TMAP sensor for the drivers side is a huge pain in the ass. It was a big challenge for me to get it on without disassembling more than I needed to. The angle is really low and to maneuver your fingers like that isn't human haha.

Also I still ended up having to take it to a shop because in order to get the wire into the cabin for the OBD connection, it needs to go through a grommet and for the life of me I couldn't get it to the other side.

Drivability I feel like is slightly better than stock. Reason I say this is because when I used to reverse out of my house on a hill without the jb4, I'd get a slight hesitation from the rpm's (it would drop a little and ever so slightly want to jerk). For whatever reason, it doesn't do that anymore.

The whole idea of keeping JB4 is that its undetectable from BMW if you take it off before servicing the car. (this is a very debatable subject). If you can pull that off, I would say its extremely worth it.0

If you're going to be running pump gas, your map options are going to be strictly
MAP 0 = Stock map
MAP 1 = 91 Octane Fuel
Map 2 = 93 Octane Fuel

The rest of the maps aren't for you unless you start doing more supporting modifications like downpipes etc
my buddy is bmw mechanic and he says they can detect these chips, even if you take it off and try to "un" tune it, they can still see your boost and rpms, and can tell the engine map was modified and then fixed.

I don't know if that's 100% true on all bmws; but he seems pretty convincing that they can see all the JB4 and boot and tunes.
How can bmw see extra boost when the ECU itself sees less boost and tries to elevate it to normal?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

MAP 0 = Stock map
MAP 1 = 91 Octane Fuel
Map 2 = 93 Octane Fuel

How can bmw see extra boost when the ECU itself sees less boost and tries to elevate it to normal?
I'm not a mechanic; but he says they can still tell when they hook it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
I'm not a mechanic; but he says they can still tell when they hook it up.
They use accelerometers for one.

In addition, the ZF transmission quite definitely knows when the car is tuned--if it knows, well...
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #14
LoveMyM8
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

I have installed the JB4 on my M8GC and used MAP 2 and 3 mixing E85 and 93 with awesome results. I did not hook up the EWG wires on the M8 and still getting 25PSI of boost at WOT. No issues and Terry is the most responsive technical person I have ever dealt with 7 days a week bar none (Thank You Terry). I also have a 2023 Range Rover SE with the BMW 4.4 which is similar to the 550i and 850i motor which I have also put a JB4 on and it really wakes the Range Rover up. I easily pulled away from a new Vseries Escalade running triple digits.
Appreciate 0