M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion High Flow Catted Primary Downpipe? Warranty? Inspection?

05-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
dogocity
Rep
Drives: M8, G.C. Comp

High Flow Catted Primary Downpipe? Warranty? Inspection?

If I add a High Flow Catted Primary Downpipe, will this void the warranty, throw a code, or not allow me to get inspected?

I will also add a non-catted secondary downpipe.

Also, with this combo..... would the smell become unbearable?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 05:49 PM   #2
dogocity
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:53 PM   #3
Broccoli-mobile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Really it would depend on the dealer about rhe warranty. Sure, they would in theory n3ed yo say that the aftermarket downpipe caused the problem, but in practice, who knows. Best bet is yo talk to your dealer of choice and see what they say.

It could throw a code/check engine light. If you just have a visual inspection, to make sure you have cats, you would probably be good to go. As long as you have primary cats it shouldn't be too bad, but you will probably have more of a smell vs stock
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:09 PM   #4
dogocity
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli-mobile View Post
Really it would depend on the dealer about rhe warranty. Sure, they would in theory n3ed yo say that the aftermarket downpipe caused the problem, but in practice, who knows. Best bet is yo talk to your dealer of choice and see what they say.

It could throw a code/check engine light. If you just have a visual inspection, to make sure you have cats, you would probably be good to go. As long as you have primary cats it shouldn't be too bad, but you will probably have more of a smell vs stock
Thanks for the reply. So, if I did a high flow primary.... in your opinion, should I do a high flow secondary, in order to not have the smell.

Inspection, I can probably get around. They will likely just slap them on.
Ironically, I peeled my inspection stickers on my truck like 3-4 years ago.... only because I'm always swamped, and never have time to drop it off. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 05:23 AM   #5
Broccoli-mobile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Yes, that would certainly help. I plan to keep the oem primaries and go with catless secondary downpipes.

Haha, that's a good thing
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Apparently the return on HP per dollar spent isn’t worth going with the sport catted primary. Most folks just do the secondaries as you’ve seen. Then get rid of resonator and/or do a catback.

If you do get a CEL, what a pain. Then you need your DMEs unlocked and a script to delete the CEL upon startup. Otherwise you live with the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 01:58 PM   #7
dogocity
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Apparently the return on HP per dollar spent isn’t worth going with the sport catted primary. Most folks just do the secondaries as you’ve seen. Then get rid of resonator and/or do a catback.

If you do get a CEL, what a pain. Then you need your DMEs unlocked and a script to delete the CEL upon startup. Otherwise you live with the CEL.
Ok, makes sense. Do you know if there is a resonator delete pipe/s already made from somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogocity View Post
Ok, makes sense. Do you know if there is a resonator delete pipe/s already made from somewhere?
Yes, Dinan makes one. Or your custom exhaust shop will do it.
Appreciate 0