M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Deal Breaker.....yack the Etch A Sketch screens.

05-23-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Deal Breaker.....yack the Etch A Sketch screens.

So my Son and I were in the dealership today to go pick up my car that was being serviced. And we thought we would peruse some of the new BMWs in the showroom. They must have close to 20 cars and SUVs in there. Of course it's like most dealerships and a really nice showroom with a lounge etc etc. Anyway the point of this whole post is we looked at most of the new BMW models and we certainly didn't like what we saw. They have gorgeous Interiors but then they have to put that 25-in or whatever it is Screen slap dab in the middle of where you're looking.
I've said before on this forum I really can't stand that look. I want an actual dashboard like we're all used to. I don't mind these long one piece screens as long as they're covered. I've only seen that in one or two vehicles and I can't recall which models or make they were. I watch a lot of videos and tend to forget what's what at times. Anyway I sure didn't like what I saw and I think they make the interior look cheap and certainly not Automotive like I am used to. I've never had a car with just a screen like that. I don't mind screens but they have to be covered. I've had some pretty cool cars over the years and I'm not that young but I certainly could not get used to that look. Not to mention the glare. Anyway my Son and I both said the interiors are so beautiful on these cars but he also felt the same way and didn't like the screens. I'm sure there's a lot of other people who don't care for that look.
I do know a few manufacturers are trying to stay away from that it seems. Now you're wondering which ones and I can't recall but I've noticed on some models of newer Vehicles they are not going to that completely. I think in a few years they'll go back to what we're all used to.
Anyway I told my friend Martin, who's a Salesman there, that I wouldn't buy any of those cars just because of the screen. He did say to me he has heard that from a few customers. So I guess there's going to be a certain amount of us that don't like them and won't participate and then I know there are other people who just love them and think they're great. I do think they're cool in lots of different vehicles but I want some sort of covering over them.
My Son and I were saying maybe somebody will come out with an aftermarket device that's sort of covers over the screen and could be stuck to the back that hangs over the front. It could be made to look nice and could be carbon fiber or leather and would simulate some type of cover over top of the screen and also help with the glare. They certainly have some really cool graphics and colors on these screens but without having something over top I just don't like them. Anyways who's in and who's out? . It appears I'm out.
I recently bought another new vehicle and it actually does have a dash cover like we're all used to.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5353.00
      05-23-2024, 11:53 PM   #2
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
I'm thinking of getting one more M850 before end of production. I'm 100% with you. I want a dash and a separate screen on the center stack. I love the M850 interior.

I've had a few loaners. The early screens just looked plain stupid - kind of unfinished and the whole thing looked like an afterthought. The more recent ones look better, but they still ain't working for me. I was in an X5, an X3 and an X1. They ALL need to be integrated to the dash with a different design. Who comes up with this shit?

I'm looking at replacing the wife's X3. I guess I can live with it in a car I won't be in very often.

Maybe the next M850 will be my last car. V8 - check. Last ICE - check. Normal dash - check.

I'll just need to find a 300,000 mile warranty and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 3
M8Bimmer1299.50
KB7120.00
      05-24-2024, 12:58 AM   #3
M8Bimmer
Rep

Of course almost everything is life is a matter of taste and individualism.
But I'm with you snowbimmer, it looks unfinished and not suitable for a BMW. I guess. Maybe I'm an old guy geezer (65) but gimme a traditional dash please.
It just objectionable to me for some reason. I think your smart to buy another 8 series. They tick SO many boxes as we all know here.
I bought my M8 to keep it for 10 years with no winter driving. We have salty winters here. Just too much of a shame to do that to the car. I have winter vehicles so It's ok to store it. Half the miles that way too. I'm doing about 7k a years in miles.
I just watched a vid for the new Aura TLX Type S. It still has a dash like we like. Kinda of a cheap interior but a dash none the less. Nice car with 350 HP. Which is a sweet number if you want to blast around having fun. Overall a nice car.
Anyway snowbimmer if I want a screen I want that huge monster that folds down in the 7 series for the rear seat royals. Or bratty kids.
Now there's screen dam it!
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5353.00
      05-24-2024, 01:22 AM   #4
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Anyway snowbimmer if I want a screen I want that huge monster that folds down in the 7 series for the rear seat royals. Or bratty kids.
Now there's screen dam it!
...................and you don't have to see it
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:26 AM   #5
Broccoli-mobile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

It seems to me that this is a natural progression from having the infotainment system integrated into the dash to having it look like an IPad glued to the dash. This was just the next step. The mfgr's tout the screen size and resolution, but it makes the dash look unfinished. I would imagine that it is also cheaper to design the dash this way vs going to the trouble of having everything integrated. I worry that in 5-10 years, every vehicle will be like this and there will be no opting out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

All I want is a VR headset to drive with, is that asking too much????

J/K but feel like soon that will be a thing. I agree with OP at some point it just starts to look damn tacky. I will admit the screen in my M8 is a bit tacky just kina placed there BUT it is small enough to be okay. I'm also not a fan of the newer design but wife is ordering the new X3M soon and I know I will have to just deal with it mainly because I can't find anything that would be a better buy than the X3. lol
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 04:18 PM   #7
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

What attracted me so much to the interior of the eight series was the classic styled, Driver focused, waterfall dash. It is one of the last cars ever designed recently to have this true driver, focussed cockpit.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5353.00
Tenac4604.00
      05-24-2024, 07:23 PM   #8
M3/4/8
Internet Nube - Experienced M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8/M4 Comp Coupes

Wow. I love the passion. Quite a screed.

I’m with you in the sense that I think this is a pendulum swing too far inspired by Tesla and I think that automakers will ultimately settle between “old” style ID7 with screen/physical control buttons and ID8 and bring back some buttons. I don’t think the judge will let you off the vehicular homicide charge with “I was four touchscreens in to get my car set up properly.”

Having some form of overhang cover to attempt to reduce glare also makes sense. I have to say though larger screens are here to stay. Calling myself out as “old” this reminds me of coming to the realization that everything sold in adverts was awful, then the follow-on realization that I was no longer in the coveted 18-45 demo and this was intentional. Sigh.

At least they look better that the half-assed iPads that corrupt the center dash of MB models. Good luck taking on those windmills sir.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:43 AM   #9
M8Bimmer
Rep

Ya, screen design needs some rethinking for my tastes. And I see a lot of others as well.
I think the screens are mostly cool and some manufacturers and certain models are very cool. But none have a real dash look.
Hell I'm no designer but, I could come up with some ideas to integrate them better without too much brain power. With a traditional overhang style dash too boot. Not that hard. And then they would look finished and not add-on-ish looking.
I think the tech they provide is great! They just aren't attractive enough or keep with the traditional car dash many car enthusiasts like.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #10
monkeyman8
Monkeyman8
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340ix, 2024 M8 Vert

It's interesting, same critiques at other auto forums as well. Seems like nobody likes these screens but makers are hell bent on making us buy them, "we're going tell you what you like". Hopefully the trend reverses. I love the 8 interior.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #11
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I'm getting a new X5 next month with iD8.5 and, the screen. I've been very against the idea, but I think I'm finally ready to give it a try. I have heard people that have actually owned cars with it for some period of time actually like it. We'll see. I do wish they'd integrate the screen better as opposed to just sort of having it sticking up there on stilts. My parent's Escalades have screens, but they are really nicely done. They just look more intentional and integrated.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #12
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I'm getting a new X5 next month with iD8.5 and, the screen. I've been very against the idea, but I think I'm finally ready to give it a try. I have heard people that have actually owned cars with it for some period of time actually like it. We'll see. I do wish they'd integrate the screen better as opposed to just sort of having it sticking up there on stilts. My parent's Escalades have screens, but they are really nicely done. They just look more intentional and integrated.

Those are better for sure. But not quit enough yet for me anyway. I like the 8 series screens under cover. Or anything else under cover. For me as I said it's a deal breaker. No sale thanks.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #13
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are better for sure. But not quit enough yet for me anyway. I like the 8 series screens under cover. Or anything else under cover. For me as I said it's a deal breaker. No sale thanks.
And also as you can see, they still have some real buttons.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #14
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
And also as you can see, they still have some real buttons.
Well your correct on that issue as well. Folks want buttons. The screen integration goes WAY too far at times now. Very DANGEROUS as well.
That Caddy your parents have has one of the better looks for sure. At least they leather covered the back and the top.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #15
M8Bimmer
Rep

Here's a weird dash Snareman. The Lotus's are just plain odd.
900 HP ....wow!
https://www.lotuscars.com/en-CA/eletre/interior
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #16
M8Bimmer
Rep

Check out this beast.
This thing is crazy cool. All Electric but quite cool all the same. Check out the interior....interesting.
https://www.lotuscars.com/en-CA/evija
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I'm getting a new X5 next month with iD8.5 and, the screen. I've been very against the idea, but I think I'm finally ready to give it a try. I have heard people that have actually owned cars with it for some period of time actually like it. We'll see. I do wish they'd integrate the screen better as opposed to just sort of having it sticking up there on stilts.
As posted after Progressive considered my wife's 2017 X5 "totalled" after an accident she had late last May but took them over a month to get their adjuster to work with Penske on the appraisal I had no choice but to get her a new X5.

I wanted a pre-LCI for the iD7 and hard buttons but my dealer only had 2 LCI 40i's. One dealer in town has some pre LCI's but after investigating although they were selling them as "new" each had 12K plus miles on them and obviously used as loaners. I knew that the in service date on the sale would start the 4 year factory warranty clock but assumed the mileage out of the 50K would be a deficit. Plus, if I'm buying a "new" car I really want it to be new.

So negotiated a good deal with my dealer on her LCI 40i which came with iD8 loaded. I actually preferred it over the 8.5 redo on the UI so declined the initial 8.5 OTA. However, on a road trip DAP had issues as I couldn't even take my hand off the wheel for a second without it disengaging (this included highway stretches that the LCI DAP+ is supposed to let you go hands free up to 85 MPH). So knowing when I took it in to get it checked one of the first things would be the 8.5 upgrade I just did the OTA (which didn't help the DAP but actually made it worse).

Am I a fan of iD8/8.5? Nope. Do I miss the hard buttons, despise the screen on stilts, etc.? Yep. However, I've figured out all the tricks to make iD8/8.5 as functional as possible so happy to share when you get your new X5. Here's a shocker though I didn't even expect, i.e., they took the distance controls for ACC off the left side steering wheel as well. I knew climate control, memory buttons, etc. would be nuked but that is a total WTF?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #18
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
As posted after Progressive considered my wife's 2017 X5 "totalled" after an accident she had late last May but took them over a month to get their adjuster to work with Penske on the appraisal I had no choice but to get her a new X5.

I wanted a pre-LCI for the iD7 and hard buttons but my dealer only had 2 LCI 40i's. One dealer in town has some pre LCI's but after investigating although they were selling them as "new" each had 12K plus miles on them and obviously used as loaners. I knew that the in service date on the sale would start the 4 year factory warranty clock but assumed the mileage out of the 50K would be a deficit. Plus, if I'm buying a "new" car I really want it to be new.

So negotiated a good deal with my dealer on her LCI 40i which came with iD8 loaded. I actually preferred it over the 8.5 redo on the UI so declined the initial 8.5 OTA. However, on a road trip DAP had issues as I couldn't even take my hand off the wheel for a second without it disengaging (this included highway stretches that the LCI DAP+ is supposed to let you go hands free up to 85 MPH). So knowing when I took it in to get it checked one of the first things would be the 8.5 upgrade I just did the OTA (which didn't help the DAP but actually made it worse).

Am I a fan of iD8/8.5? Nope. Do I miss the hard buttons, despise the screen on stilts, etc.? Yep. However, I've figured out all the tricks to make iD8/8.5 as functional as possible so happy to share when you get your new X5. Here's a shocker though I didn't even expect, i.e., they took the distance controls for ACC off [...]
My PCD is scheduled for June 26th. I didn't get the ACC or any of the self-driving stuff since I was already spending 100K on the car I didn't need after my X3 only has 12,000 miles on it but I've always pined for an X5 and got a good deal on it from my out of state dealer. I was trying to at least pinch where I could.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #19
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check out this beast.
This thing is crazy cool. All Electric but quite cool all the same. Check out the interior....interesting.
https://www.lotuscars.com/en-CA/evija
It would take me a while I think to get used to that rectangle steering wheel but cool interior nonetheless. Those are some interesting center console buttons. And I guess instead of a scrotal protrusion that the BMW sport seats have, there is a little depression there to rest it in the middle of the seat.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #20
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well your correct on that issue as well. Folks want buttons. The screen integration goes WAY too far at times now. Very DANGEROUS as well.
That Caddy your parents have has one of the better looks for sure. At least they leather covered the back and the top.
I can't seem to get my parents to buy non-american. They are Cadillac and Corvette. As much as their Escalades are entirely too big for anything I would ever own they are fairly nice looking and the interiors are good quality. Also agreed - I would still prefer to have real buttons.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:09 AM   #21
M8Bimmer
Rep

I have a buddy that has the xt5 Cadillac and I will admit it has a nice interior. What I'm most impressed with is after 4 years of use driving back and forth to Florida twice a year the car is still very tight and has no interior noise at all. I'm quite impressed with that quality as there are no squeaks or noises of any type. A pretty nice car overall. Just not quite enough power for what I would be after. But yes I agree Cadillacs quality is pretty nice.
I totally agree with you that rectangle wheel in the Lotus would be pretty weird to get used to. And yeah those center console buttons are really strange but interesting at the same time.Definitely an interesting car. Their whole lineup is interesting but I believe only one is gasoline powered. I think the others are all electric. I didn't really look too hard
I think the divot in the seat center is so when you pee your pants it drains there.

Last edited by M8Bimmer; Today at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0