M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos RORO Vessel Felicity Ace Sinks carrying Porsche VW last built Lamborghini Aventadors

03-05-2022, 05:00 AM   #1
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
RORO Vessel Felicity Ace Sinks carrying Porsche VW last built Lamborghini Aventadors

The Felicity Ace, the cargo ship that caught fire while carrying thousands of brand new Volkswagen, Porsche, and Lamborghini vehicles, sunk Tuesday morning, according to a press statement.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...go-ship-sinks/

The vessel sank carrying 4000+ VWs, Porsches, Bentleys, and the last built Lamborghini Aventadors.

The ship, which was carrying around 4000 cars, sank after it "suffered a list to starboard," a press release from its operators said Tuesday. The Felicity Ace became submerged around 253 miles away from the Portuguese archipelago of Azores around 9 a.m. local time on Tuesday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Yes we know thank you.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13698.00
x3sm284.00
      03-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Doesn't that ship seem to be riding high in the water considering it's carrying 4000 vehicles?
Say an average of 3,600lbs per car x 4000 = 14,400,000 lbs or 7,200 tons.
Here's a conspiracy theory for you, the cars were never loaded on board, out at sea a fire was started and eventually the ship was scuttled, now it's several miles down so everything is a write off. Everyone gets a settlement and the cars are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be sold on the black market.
Not really serious but that ship sure looks like it's riding high to me.
      03-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yes we know thank you.
I hadn't actually heard it sank, though. I knew it was abandoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
Doesn't that ship seem to be riding high in the water considering it's carrying 4000 vehicles?
Here's a conspiracy theory for you, the cars were never loaded on board, out at sea a fire was started and eventually the ship was scuttled, now it's several miles down so everything is a write off. Everyone gets a settlement and the cars are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be sold on the black market.
Seems like it, huh? I'm heading over to purchase the domain name, bringatrawler.com

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 07:22 PM   #5
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Quote:
I made this comment in the beginning and not sure why it's so far fetched, but seriously ...... 2 Porsche Fires in 3 yrs?

Both transpired at the end of a generation production run. Prior was the last Gen GT2-RS.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13698.00
      03-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
What I find unusual is there are no videos of it actually sinking. These days everything is captured on cell phone video.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Depends what was done to the ballast tanks prior to the crew existing. Look to be empty hence the height and why it listed on its side. The magnitude of insurance fraud that would happen in the event of this scenario doesn't pass the common sense check haha
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17471.00
      03-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Depends what was done to the ballast tanks prior to the crew existing. Look to be empty hence the height and why it listed on its side. The magnitude of insurance fraud that would happen in the event of this scenario doesn't pass the common sense check haha
For that value of claim, the insurance companies might get together and drop some ROV to dive the wreckage...? According to Reuters it's 2.17 miles down. Easy dive for a ROV.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
That's a good point about the ballast but then I would have to ask why would the crew empty the ballast (if that is what you saying) before abandoning ship?
Why leave it in an unstable situation because of a fire?
I'm not serious about the fraud thing but someone has some explaining do.

Hmmm, I guess it could also be listing because of the tens of thousands of gallons of water they dumped on the flames trying to put it out.
Heads are going to roll one way or another.
      03-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #10
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
That's a good point about the ballast but then I would have to ask why would the crew empty the ballast (if that is what you saying) before abandoning ship?
Why leave it in an unstable situation because of a fire?
I'm not serious about the fraud thing but someone has some explaining do.

Hmmm, I guess it could also be listing because of the tens of thousands of gallons of water they dumped on the flames trying to put it out.
Heads are going to roll one way or another.
Na not what I was saying, agree that it wouldn't make sense for them to do so. Something could have malfunctioned, hard to say. I'm not 100% certain how those systems function as far as the mechanical operation. More so just understand their purpose.
Appreciate 0