E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Recommendations for an audio installer in Canberra or Sydney

05-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

Recommendations for an audio installer in Canberra or Sydney

Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a good audio installer in Canberra? Sydney is a possibility too as I do occasional business travel there.

I have ordered an Alpine Upgrade kit and an Ipod Connection Retrofit Kit from Europe. BMW Canberra (Rolfe Classic) has quoted me $800 to install both (5 hours of labour at $160 per hour).

I don't like the sound of that and rather would go with a reputable / qualified audio independent installer, which should at least halve the cost.

The question is:

1. Which independent installers are reputable / can be trusted with the job?

and

2. Are there some that have experience with BMW installations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

The only installer I have any experience with in Canberra is BDL in Fyshwick. They did an install for me in my e46 325ci about two years ago consisting a DICE silverline kit for iPod integration + a TV screen in the headrest. I did a post on e46fanatics that you can check out here

They were pretty good at the time and seems comfortable working with a BMW, although it was an older model and I haven't had anything to do with them since then. FYI I enquired with Rolfe about the genuine iPod retrofit kit (I have a 335 with professional nav and the stacker, but no USB or iPod) but the quote came in at over $2k including fitting so I didn't go ahead

I've wondered about getting another DICE kit but am not convinced, so would like to hear how you go with it all. Currently use the aux in when I want to listen to something other than what I have on CD - but miss having my iPod integrated with the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

drew, mate I'm in a similar situation in terms of using the AUX cable for the Ipod. When I get the parts I ordered I will try 2-3 different installers and get them to have a look at the installation instructions / parts and see what they can do. I will definately try BDL. Apparently there is a place in Phillip that also does installations.

By the way I ordered the Alpine upgrade and Ipod kits for $780 delivered from Europe. The equivalent cost from Rolfe was $1450 for parts only (Alpine hifi kit, the required door trim pieces and a separate Ipod kit). So I am already $700 ahead just on parts.

I have a feeling that I will be able to get the install done for around $400, as opposed to Rolfe quote of $800.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
J325i
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

bmwaddiction, can you let me know where did you get the kit? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

http://www.schmiedmann.com/

they are denmark based and their prices including postage were the most competitive, just use realoem to find the part number and then advanced-search it on their website

their shipping charges are far more reasonable than US based sellers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

You could always install it yourself? There are instructions floating around, including the BMW workshop ones.

Here's a wiring diagram I found...

Also, for those interested, there is a USB retrofit available - but I imagine you'd have sell a kidney to BMW to pay for it.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW USB Retrofit 1.pdf (1.73 MB, 272 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

thanks xsboost. I am very hesitant to mess around with wiring harnesses and essentially learn by trial and error. If is was a mechanical job I would be a little more comfortable doing it myself, however this time I think I will let a professional installer do it for me.

Do you know if there is an instruction for the Ipod retrofit kit installation or a DYI?

regards
Appreciate 0