View Single Post
      09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Anyone else think Barrichello could have crashed on purpose? Here's the theory:

Brawn has been aggressively courting Mercedes in an attempt to get them to invest and become their primary team in F1, shifting away from McLaren.

By crashing when he did, Barrichello locked in Lewis Hamilton's pole position. This greatly benefits Mercedes. Both Vettel and Rosberg were on pace to complete quicker laps than Hamilton, until Barrichello crashed.

Barrichello's car was relatively uncompetitive and he's already set to take a 5 spot penalty due to a transmission change.

So Mercedes tells Brawn "Have Barrichello crash his car and we will invest more money with your team next season."

I think it's entirely possible that this happened. It makes just as much sense as what Renault did.

Frankly, I'm starting to believe that the outcomes and "drama" in F1 is largely scripted, similar to pro wrestling. It's too convenient, the way when one crisis ends a new one begins almost the next day. First was the "liargate" thing in Australia. Then all the stuff with Max Mosely and Ron Dennis. Then Renault getting banned for sending Alonso out with a loose wheel. Then all the drama surrounding next year's team lineup. then the Piquet crash scandal, etc. It's all a joke.