View Single Post
      09-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #44
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Actually, BMW will pass an instant rebate of $7500 to the buyer/leaser and collect the tax rebate themselves. It sells more cars that way. I've had three i3's with $9.5k in rebates each ($7500 fed, $2000 factory). Saved quite a bit of $ leasing an EV for my daily driver.

However, some other manufacturers like Kia don't pass this on if you lease, only if you purchase. Boooo!
First, I'm not sure how exactly BMW arranges that, since we're talking about individual income tax credit vs. corporate entities. In simple terms, not every lessee's income is eligible to full or partial credit, yet BMW collects full amount every time (not to mention you have to own the vehicle, which lessee don't)?

Second, and this can be related to the above, there many other tax & credit stipulations (CARB, state, etc.) for car manufacturers, so they have to manipulate their EV/plugin stock and sales to maximize benefits (and minimize costs). I suspect BMW collect those, but claims 'we're passing saving to you', which technically is misleading.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18180.50
Efthreeoh17309.00