11-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Do you find the M50d feels a bit stressed? I prefer the feel of the 30d and 35d over the M50d engine - although I've only driven the N57 triple turbo not the B57 quad turbo.

I personally wish they had kept the V8 diesel and I also wonder if it might be harder for them to meet emissions making so much power from only 3 litres, it might prove to be easier to go back to a 4.0 to 4.5l V8 and make less power per litre to improve emissions.
Not at all. Believe me I've flogged it on the German Autobahns and it does not miss a beat. I've had a 30d before and that was good, the 50d is just - bam! I'm looking forward to the 840d as it is lighter and on paper faster - although you simply cannot use it due to traffic and fear of losing your license, unless on a straight autobahn. My X6 has averaged 32 UK mpg over 4 years and overall the way these 6 cyclinder diesels respond in real driving is great. My wife has a new JCW and although quick, you have to floor it compared to the X6, diesel torque v petrol HP.

Last edited by Wing Co; 11-08-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0