01-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #32
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't know if it's the "super sizing" of American family car needs, but whole generations grew up without SUVs. People were fine moving their families in sedans and sometimes wagons. I grew up with my parents owning a mid size family sedan and it was fine for a family of 4 - even on long 8+ hour road trips. I don't see why that is different today.

Plus, if you live in a urban city center like SF or manhattan - try parking a SUV. It's hard to squeeze between tight parking spots, even opening the door without hitting the next car is a chore. Try squeezing between cars parallel parking. Try opening the back hatch without hitting the car behind you or the ceiling in a parking structure... it's super impractical. I had a loaner X5 while my car was at the dealer and it was very stressful maneuvering this tank around the city.

The SUV is purely a creation of modern standards and people wanting more and bigger. No one needs a SUV besides people who actually drive off road.
Personally, I have cargo space needs beyond the basic family. Pickups and other trucks are simply way to big making the X5 a great contender. I also haven't had any issues parallel parking in Brooklyn or maneuvering around NYC. But if someone does, then I completely agree, it's not the right choice for them.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00