02-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I'm surprised that your dealer just didn't get the tech to adjust to be exactly the same. They clearly can do this regardless of what is "within" spec.

I've had cars made by BMWs, Porsche, Mercedes and Lexus over the past 20 years. In general, I would say that they were high quality and the dealers would try to address whatever little issues came up. I think there is a lot of variability around these types of issues. I had a Lexus GS430 that was probably the most poorly engineered and assembled car I ever had, but had a RX350 at the same time that was built well. The dealer tried to fix all of the issues with the GS430 but in the end, my assessment was that it was just a poorly engineered and built car. My experience has been that Porsche quality is really amazing but the panel gaps on my current Cayenne Turbo are like the ones you are showing here (and is a discussion point in the Cayenne forums). My point is that there is a fair amount of variability about this stuff and the occasional poorly assembled car, and that it has a lot with whether the dealer is willing to address issues beyond what is within whatever tolerances they set.

In this case, given how accommodating your dealer has been, why they wouldn't adjust it to your satisfaction is surprising.
Great point on the occasionally poorly assembled car as I have one of them and Black Sapphire M8 at my dealer's is another. When I picked up the car my SA wasn't there so I just got the attached document along with my bill ($20) for the loaner as they use their insurance for any windshield damage vs mine which will cover everything else. Explanation back in 2017 during servicing my wife's X5 for the first time is a lot of insurance companies want to use non-OEM glass and the HUD may end up with issues. Not sure if it's true but I figure $20 is not ridiculous and just think of it as a car wash given they wash it before pickup.

Also, to your point I too believe that if I ask for the hood to be adjusted (the tech just blindly pointed out it's in spec) they will do it. Like anything its all about how I approach the request. In fact I may even start with my CA as when I was dropping off the car I ran into him and once again thanked him for everything he did regarding the Cerium eradication program, etc. I even said it was likely fate as although I thought the Tanzanite would go better with Chromeline but in reality Shadowline is the clear winner! My bet is if I point out the Black Sapphire M8's issue and mine he'll see to it that both the M8 and my M850i get properly aligned hoods.
Appreciate 1