10-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #210
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Aftermarket performance wheels are very light compared to most factory wheels. I know the E46 M3 19x9.5s were 29 lbs and factory GT Mustang wheels run around the 30lb mark asl for 18s. Cadillac is a bit highend in my book, or at least they put their money into stuff like that to make their cars more sporty. If you look around you'll find that most cars do not come with forged wheels. Even the R8 had heavy cast wheels as standard until a couple years ago
Possibly but seems lazy or cheap on the manufacturers part when talking about performance cars. Also, adding 10 lbs. per wheel to an Apex (not forged, not high end) wheel seems extreme. I am interested if knowing if there is a 10.5" W wheel for a performance car that weighs 33 lbs. Also seems like Ford is going overboard on the benefits of these wheels. Ford saying "Each carbon wheel saves around 6 pounds over a mid priced aftermarket wheel" sounds far less impressive.

If the regular GT350 comes with 33 lb. wheels it should be very easy to get most of the performance benefit of the carbon wheels at a pretty reasonable price, with the benefit of major damage and having to replace the wheel not being nearly the problem of the OEM aluminum or especially the carbon wheel.