03-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #60
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnkraut View Post
Currently getting started building my new house (great timing right?) and with this quarantine had some time to plan out my garage.

Here's what I'm planning on doing:

Swisstrax flooring
Twin Busch scissor lift
Hose bib inside the garage for wall mounted pressure washer
High lift garage door conversion
Jackshaft garage door openers
Sonic (or equivalent) cabinets
7 4-bulb led fixtures

What "essentials" would you want in your dream garage.

So many things, but they are gonna be based on size, money, needs.......

Let me start by saying I'm envious of you being able to plan this from the beginning. I hope my next house will be a scratch build house and I can do the planning.

You can never have too much space. Currently I'm working with a one and a half car garage building, and a barn converted to be home to 6 cars.

So let's start.

I see you live in Austin so having a garage setup to be able to wash cars indoors (in the winter) may not be as big a deal for you as us guys up north but that's my number one thing. Hoses and drain indoors. Of course, hot water.

The second is electricity. Run way more than you think you'll need. It's really cheap and convenient to do now. As someone else mentioned, plan for the future and run wire for EV's. I'd also consider an outside hookup for visitors or when one of your cars is parked outside.

I'd run cat 6 wires to the garage. And I'd like a real stereo in the garage. I like to listen to music when I'm washing, cleaning cars.

The type/style of lift is all personal..... your call.

So is the floor but epoxy is really nice.

I'd design a room off the garage to house the compressor and perhaps store chemicals and tires and other stuff you don't want in the garage.

How about welders, tire changer, tire balancer????

Do you need space in the garage for your mower? How about bicycles? Boats or kayaks? EDIT: I left out motorcycles.....

Storage..... figure out what you need and double it. You'll thank me later. As someone else already commented, keep stuff off the floor if possible.

My most important comment. Do you have kids or will you have them in the near future (while in this house)? If so, will they have their bicycles in the garage? If so, will they be able to get to them without having to walk next to the cars? I've found it really nice to have a door to the outside that allows for moving bikes and stuff without having to go near the cars. It also helps when you come home and the power is off and the garage doors won't open.

Good luck and enjoy the build.

Last edited by andrewmr; 03-29-2020 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
dmatre664.50