11-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #2848
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks for the kind comments, all. Lots of good advice.

We have been in contact with a local vet that does in-home euthanasia, 24-7. We are set up in their system so whether it's next week or 2 years from now, we call and say "its time" and they come on over. Any time, day or night.

I think one thing we have going for us is that Bella is a total wussy and a massive foodie. She doesnt hide her pain; she screams. And if she refuses a meal or a treat we know with 100% certainty there's something seriously wrong. So using those two indicators I think we have a pretty good shot at quickly understanding when something is wrong. Literally, as I'm typing this, I heard her starting to whine. A quick look at the clock confirms it's 5:57 PM. Dinner is at 6:00 PM sharp every night. Her internal clock is incredible.

The real variable in all this is her re-occurring pneumonia. If the CT scan confirms the suspicion that she has a fungal infection in her sinuses, and it's treatable, she'll be in good shape. if the source of the pneumonia is unknown after the scan, or, they find she has a fungal infection that's done serious damage to the bones in her skull, then another bout of pneumonia is a simple matter if when and not if. We decided if that happens again we are not putting her through another week in the ER. We will have to take action and put her down peacefully at home.
Sounds like you have a very good plan. We all hope it ends up in the 2 year horizon.
DETRoadster11469.50
Esteban44369.50