United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Well damn! Matt recommended to "avoid" it. I think the M8's price tag got to him
I have more context here than most and agree with Matt on numerous points. Take UK road suitability--it just doesn't work in England. Our village roads were built in some cases, 400+ years ago and can't be expanded because of these annoying little things called houses. The car's too wide and too long if you live in the UK countryside or want to frequent it.

The way BMW sells the 'options' in the UK is the *THE* definition of nickle-and-diming. Here in the States, it's a few packages and you're done. So yet again, I agree with Matt but that's a 'market' issue, not a product.

On the suspension: I thought it was stiff, too, when I first drove the Comp. Then I let 7psi of air out of my (new Michelin) tires (down to 33 psi at ambient 50f) and it made all the difference. The car wanted 40psi square--WTF... concrete!

On the M850 being the great all-rounder... I'd probably agree and I only say probably because I don't have enough wheel-time with one. However, I genuinely use the 'M' functionality and wouldn't give up the driving pleasure I derive from it (both road and track) and its configurability given the choice.

For someone new to the brand, I suspect the M850 would check all the boxes without any argument.
Yea I can barely wait to take delivery of mine (build week 40). Matt's "avoid" recommendation didn't change my impression of the car one bit.

What's interesting is how many comments on YouTube that said now they know they want the M8 after watching the CarWow review even though he said avoid.

And yea the M850 is a beast in its own rights, but I need that extra .5sec push
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50