09-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
I use the lens corrections built into Lightroom for the lens, and it does correct really well. The DLO corrections do a great job for it and look normal after correction; however, I always prefer the raw file to be cleaner from the start so that you don't need to do as much editing.

I reread my post and maybe it came across a bit too critical - sorry! The 24-105 is that one lens that I can never find myself parting with, despite all its flaws, because it's just so dang useful as a walk-around. The recent Mark II Canon lenses have been pretty awesome though, so I'm looking forward to see the improvements made with the new version.
I have a 24mm TS-E and a pano rig, so I could get much better geometry in the RAW shot if I wanted to. But the series of shots for the church took me maybe 20 seconds to grab. It would have taken me that long just to get my tripod open if I were to go hardcore and use the TS-E and pano rig. The end results are so close that it just doesn't justify the extra time for me. Plus my pano above was shot at 47mm. There would have been a difference in resolution if I had used the 24mm TS-E. Would not have needed to merge any images as the entire scene and then some would have been in one frame. LOL

Here's another pano shot with the 24-105 in portrait mode. Handheld. This is 9 shots across and each frame is a 5-shot HDR.

Conwy Castle, Wales
by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1