View Single Post
      06-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
My car has Dakota leather, which I like quite a bit. Feels good and holds up well.

My findings on this and others:

Leatherique works well as a once in a while treatment, or to shoot life back into neglected leather. Higher quality leather responds better and would benefit more from regular use. With Dakota leather or lower, as long as it is kept clean and protected, Leatherique is not really necessary. It may help bring life back to neglected Dakota leather. It will do absolutely nothing for Sensatec.

I like Zaino Z10 'leather in a bottle' for periodic Dakota treatment, and regular maintenance on higher grade leather. Leaves a nice, new looking matte finish and feel with no greasy or slick feeling, and smells great too. Will provide a similar feel after use on Sensatec, but there's no real benefit to it.

For regular maintenance on Dakota, and all protective care related to Sensatec, Aerospace 303 is great. Leaves a very nice feel and appearance after application, and keeps surfaces well protected.

For all of the above types, any PH neutral leather cleaner used before applying the above is fine. Really comes down to personal preference.

For the 1, 2, 3, and 4 Series, Sensatec (i.e. plastic synthetic leather, also known as 'pleather', or Leatherette) is standard. It is tough and will hold up very well with only regular cleaning followed up with protectant application (Aerospace 303). On these cars, Dakota leather is optional. Standard for the 5 Series. Dakota is real leather, but it is highly processed and often painted. The grain is artificial and is embossed by a machine during processing. It's also durable, but has a better appearance and feel than Sensatec with only slightly more upkeep required.

Then we get to Nappa leather, which is available on the 5 & 7. Merino leather is also optional on some higher end models. This is obviously real, natural grain leather and should be treated as such.
+1 for the best writeup in this thread.

Personally, Zymol conditioner is my favorite.

2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1