Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I'd venture to say these days the car's ECU or associated computer will record the changes to the factory set parameters and possibly create some kind of alert when hooked up to BMW diagnostics.

a properly designed and engineered piggy back unit will never "defeat" the "pre-set" factory limitations set by the ECU. What is "sees and records" never changes. at WOT for example there are preset boost "limits" the ECU will expect to see. while a piggy back unit may alter the "signal" being sent from the sensor connections, the ECU itself still only "sees" those limits, therefore nothing is actually ever changed from stock. However in case of the JB4 unit for example, if you plug into the OBDII port , it can leave a fingerprint trace that something was altered if any changes are done thru it. Just trying to give some additional info on how they work etc.
JB4's use of OBD II is entirely passive as I understand it from Terry—it's leveraging ECU/CAN bus metrics to better inform the JB's behaviors (boost per gear... per RPM, timing, knock sensors, etc).

It's certainly possible I'm insufficiently informed so I was wondering if you're speculating or stating a fact that it does more through OBD II than merely read?

Thanks!

Last edited by limeypride; 02-20-2020 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0