View Single Post
      05-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #34
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

This is the reply I sent to MPTPA earlier today:

Hi, congrats on the car. Fyi, unbelievably, I just traded the M850 coupe for the M850 convertible, which is more appropriate for me.

Anyway, virtually all of your problems are related to the latest and most complete Connected Drive outage since wheels were invented.

In order:

- I cannot see the Digital key option under doors/access to activate
If you mean the option that allows you to open and start your car with a cell phone, it will not work with an iPhone, which I imagine you have since you're referring to CarPlay. It's operational only for Android phones, at least for now.

- cannot get Apple Car Play
I'll copy and paste the settings below for CarPlay and an iPhone but...many users are saying that the ConnectedDrive outage has evaporated their CarPlay service. CarPlay apparently requires both Bluetooth and in-car Wi-Fi connectivity to your iPhone.

- do not see the WiFi hotspot (so I can activate)
Again, ConnectedDrive. I was able to activate the WiFi hotspot in the car I received Monday, but it only works inside the car - to link to CarPlay, which for me is still working (though it's not working for many others). At the moment, my in-car Wi-Fi cannot communicate with the outside world - apparently due to the ConnectedDrive outage. To find the hotspot, go to Home Screen>COM>Mobile Devices and touch device settings along the right side.

- worse, cannot even add my car to the Connected app; apparently their server had been down for a couple of days.
You probably know this, but even under the best of circumstances, ConnectedDrive is glitchy and undependable. Sometimes it does everything, sometimes nothing, sometimes in between.
Apparently, BMW tried to completely revise the system within the last week or two and...typically...in the process it pretty much killed the system.
Like many others, I keep calling BMW Assist and/r the BMW Genius and, like us, they know nothing. It will be restored in a day, in three days, by next week. Each has a different story.

- Display Key
It's nice to show off to your friends, but it has no practical purpose. You are correct - it is bulky, it is not fully functional, there is no way to connect it to a keychain, etc. I just keep mine charged (mostly through the wireless charging tray in the car) and then I store it in the house. Also be aware that your driver Profile generally can be stored only in one key device at a time. So if you store it to the normal key, you'll usually - but not always (BMW again) - have to reset it when you change to the Display Key or vice versa.

- Remote 3D
Again, pretty cool, but it works through the ConnectedDrive app on your phone, which of course doesn't work at all. If the system ever comes back, you'll see an option for Remote 3D on your phone app.

It's hard to be patient (patience is not my strong suit), but it's best not to mess too much with anything inside the car until you have reason to believe that Connected Drive is working for most people - because I have learned the hard way that nearly everything related to telematics is dependent on ConnectedDrive. The phone app, the in-car Wi-Fi system, Car Play, etc.

Let's say in touch and compare notes. When either of us sees that ConnectedDrive is back, it will be good to let the other know..

Any other questions, fire away. I currently hold the world record for most M850s owned in the shortest time, because I'm an idiot.

redhot47fla

Here are the steps for linking Car Play, when ConnectedDrive is back:

On the M850i:

Home screen>COM>Mobile Devices

Be sure to check (enable) Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Internet Connection, and Apple Car Play

Under Devices, highlight your phone.

Under Connection Mode: Choose "Apple Car Play"

If you see that it has connected, touch the Home button on the center console to return to the Home screen.

If we somehow got this right, you should see two icons in the upper left corner - one for iDrive and, right next to it, one that says "Apple CarPlay."

Just touch each icon to swap between the two systems.

I tend to leave my home screen on iDrive, but I switch into Car Play when I see that a text or phone message has come through. When both systems are playing nicely together, by moving to Car Play and touching the Phone or Text icon, Siri will read you the messages and offer you response options.

Don't lose heart if all of this fails the first time or the first few times. You may have to restart your phone and/or the car and redo the settings as per above.

But sooner or later, probably later, it will work.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0