View Single Post
      09-16-2022, 06:52 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
I think the biggest problem for many folks is the long repair times combined with the limit on rental car coverage. My insurance company (USAA) has a $900 max on rental car coverage, and that would only cover about 2-3 weeks at today’s rates.

My car was drivable after a recent accident so they ordered parts first and I started the rental car the day I dropped off the car for a 5-6 week repair job. Total rental car bill was almost $1900, but the other guy’s company paid it all since he was at fault. The days of renting a car for $30-$40/ day are long gone for major rental car companies.
The problem is many times more damage is discovered after the car is torn down. A body shop isn't going to tear down your car to make sure they capture all the parts needing repair and then put it back together so you can drive it while parts are on order. But maybe they should in light of what is going on with supply chain and bill the insurance companies. But I also doubt the insurance companies are going to pay for the additional labor too.

That was my situation. The initial parts were shown to be in stock and then not in stock. When my car was in for repairs, the body shop found additional parts needing to be replaced. My car was also drivable after hitting the rat with antlers. Except the body shop said technically my car was not considered drivable by State Farm because of the one headlight being out.
Appreciate 0