View Single Post
      09-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I'm confused on the individual thing. I was told with my car to add 2 weeks or so for the individual paint. My CA told me that's because they have to take the car completely out of the assembly line to an entirely different place to paint it. .
For the plants in Germany they do remove it. The M8 is built in the "primum plant" it's known for some of the highest quality work from BMW. Individual colors are mostly hand painted and finished by hand, more of an old school process. They are ran in the line up to primer and taken off to be painted, corrected and finished. I actually been to the plants to see this in Germany. If you look BMW individual webpage says add 10weeks for process (probably playing it safe).

It all really depends on how many ahead of you and the timing of it all. I've heard some individual orders being done in 4 weeks on the dot but then took 3 weeks to get to the dealer. The time I was there the gentleman in charge of painting has been doing it for 34 years at that same booth. He was teaching about 6 others at that time all in different stages of apprenticeship.

The Spartanburg plant does not remove to hand paint individual colors FYI.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0