Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I ran the numbers, it's almost identical to lease or buy it. if you lease 2 cars for 3 years back to back, 99 times out of 100, it's the same as buying and selling in 6 years.

the only difference is that you have a guaranteed buy and sell price with % of residual assuming you stay under miles and no damage on turn in.

if you have a lease ending today, vs 3 years from now, that might make a difference. but in the long run, Leasing is not any better than buy and sell in 6 years vs 2 leases.

except that you have 2 new cars instead of 1 new car.
Disagree. The M850 might be, what, a $1500 per month lease? That's $54k of payments in 3 years. You are saying you are out $70k after 4 months. Easy calculation here. That car will be worth even less in 2.5 years even if you don't drive it another mile.
my m850i is a year old. assuming the value in 2 years is equal to the value today; then the lease vs buy is almost the same. I'm out about 60k vs your 55k lease cost today.

my point isn't today price, it's the cost after 6 years.

even if it drops, the price in 6 years will be equal to the cost of 72 lease payments almost everytime.
Appreciate 0