Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
That extra $5,000 would really hurt when you're already spending $150,000 plus?

I could understand the "deal" if it was filtered to the lower models but..... some of you are sold now to save $5k?
Can't speak for everyone but one option on the table for my 2020 M850i included Verde Ermes as a custom Individual exterior for $5K. Besides the fact that I'd have to give up my #1 interior choice of Fiona Red/Black for either Cognac or Tartufo/Black the fact that it was just an additional $5K of total depreciation the second I took delivery made me walk away from it.

That was on a $127K car and if given the option for free I would have done it. So I understand the interest from anyone in the M8 GC market to take advantage of the offer. We all work hard for our money and the simple rule to gaining wealth is "live below your means" or at least not wasting a dollar that can be spent elsewhere.
Ok, I get it if you're buying a $50k car that makes sense to me and yeah no matter the wealth or income people generally wouldn't throw money out like that, however, if you cared that much about such a small amount of money (in comparison to the price of the car) then why would you even consider buying a new car?

New cars depreciation rate for the first month alone can be up to 10% and buy the end of the 1st year you can add another 10-20% to that. For a luxury car it's probably on the higher side of things. So worst case you lost $40k in 1 year of ownership. I just can't see someone that frugal would buy/order a new car. I think it's out of spite or something else.

Another note, 99% of cars are terrible investments so why would you even look at it any different? If you buy a car, any car, you lost money.

It's a silly marketing gimmick. If you don't think that BMW is squeezing that individual paint out of you somehow than you're crazy. They'll make up for it by marking up the car in other areas. It's pretty easy to hide $5k in a 6 figure Coupe. Also to generalize, people are not that bright for the most part. If you sold a gallon of milk for $20 and told everyone that this is on sale from $50, people will still buy it.

At the end of the day for probably most if not all cases, if someone has the means to purchase an individual paint 850, regardless if it's $5k or not they're going to fulfill that purchase.

This is just a marketing gimmick to give more notice to a car that is sort in the shadows.
the m8 gran coup is probably a hard seller and they are just trying to pump early numbers. so I partially agree you that it's marketing but it's not a gimmick. A gimmick implies a joke or toy like the prize in a happy meal. this is more like a discount or sale like Black Friday or President day sales with discounts.

I'd imagine most people who wants 4 doors have kids. those with kids are going to have less money to spend than those without kids. they are also less likely to go for higher engines vs lower, assuming all else the same. so something like the m40 or m850 gran coup might sell better than a true m8 4 door.
also those looking for power, might go full m8 competition. so my random guess is the m8 gran coup 4 door will have a very small market demand, especially if it's priced along with the Porshe Panamera.
Appreciate 0