01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #22
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Just read the Supra article and looked at photos on Car and Driver.

I don't care that the new Supra is automatic only (for the moment).
I don't care that the new Supra has Z4 bones.
I don't care that the new Supra has the B58 instead of the S55.
I don't care that the new Supra isn't the giant killer it was 20 years ago.

But I do care how terrible it looks. Aside from the seats, general interior (minus that hideous steering wheel), rear end, and having an amazing sounding inline 6 turbo, I can't stand looking at it. So much nostalgia was riding on this car for me. All Toyota needed was an evolution of the MkIV styling on the front end, and I would have forgiven all else and been lined up to order one today. Instead, yet again I need to look outside of Japan to find a sporty car that appeals to me.

Nissan - the Z is essentially dead, and the GT-R just keeps getting uglier.
Mitsubishi - Evo is dead.
Subaru - STI has taken far too long to update its engine, and at this rate I'm not sure it'll ever be competitive again.
Acura - NSX was a fail.
Honda - Type-R is good, but certainly not worth trading in my M3 for.
Lexus - RC-F is typical half-baked non-competitive Toyota at its finest.

The Supra was my last hope that I would get back into the Japanese car scene. But I see that while they were happy to let BMW take care of the powertrain and chassis, they couldn't even bother to get the design right.

Well Japan, it looks like you don't want my money anymore. The days of great value, giant killers are over, and I suppose moving on is the best solution for me at this point. If I sound sentimental or dramatic, it's because I am. So much of the reason I am a car enthusiast today was started from the Japanese car scene, and even as I moved up to more upscale cars and brands, I never forgot my roots. But it seems at this point I may as well start. If a MkIV Supra can reach over $100,000 dollars at auction, and Toyota can't even see why, then there's really no point in sticking around to wait for them.

At least I'll be able to enjoy my M3 for another full generation. May be one of the greatest cars I've ever owned, and more of a Supra than the Supra at this point.
The 2020 Lexus RC-F and RC-F track is decent. Same high revving V8 motor but lost a lot of weight, 0-60 in 3.9s compare to 4.3s, which is pretty much all from losing weight since motor is the same.