View Single Post
      01-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I don't believe BMW would give away M specific S-type engines to cars that isn't BMW M's by design.
Check out the Wiesmann MF4 S (note the "S" - it is important) and MF5. They are (well, were) some fantastic retro roadsters (and coupes) that were never sold in the US. On a side note, the company fizzled out a few years ago, though I believe the owners are trying to bring it back to life.

Anyway, sure, those are exotic vehicles with very high price tags, but that simply shows that M is willing to part with their secret sauce for the right buyer. And there's no doubt a big share of Wiesmann's costs lie in the powertrain department.

If there were an S55 or S58 slated for the Z4, then the cost for Toyota to buy in might very well be reasonable enough to make the business case. Like I said above, it's still technically possible (for the S58 - the S55 is a dead man walking at this point). And the 6MT could even come along for the ride since M Division has strongly hinted (came just short of confirming it outright) that it will stick around in the G82 M4.

I honestly hope this all plays out because the Supra is a great effort in search of proper appeal. Let's be honest - if this car had come out of the gate with a 450hp engine and 6MT, the press and the enthusiast community would universally be going gaga for it right now, and the industry as a whole would be be put on notice.
Appreciate 3
minn1914012.00
Arcades8162.00
MarkDemma519.00