02-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #109
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Awhile back they have hinted at a $50k staring price tag; I just can't see people spending that much for a 4 cylinder base model. If its a 4 banger with that price tag I would rather get a C7.
Nor can I -- my argument then was that it would need to be badged a Lexus to make that viable. That's why I think the base models will start in the mid-$30k range, with the six being priced roughly where the M240i is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
In my opinion to better differentiate it from the 86 it should be a 6 cylinder of some form. I believe someone on this forum has said the BMW will only come as a drop top and the Toyota as a coupe, so they won't steal sales from each other.
A twin-scroll four and the 86's engine are two very, very different animals. I don't think it'd be a stretch as long as the fours in the Supra significantly differ, both in power delivery and driveability (i.e., flat torque curves), from those in the 86/BRZ.

It's been reported that both models will be offered in both convertible and coupe form 1 to 2 years after their respective launches. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of those are delayed or killed, depending on how well the Supra Coupe/Z5 'vert do in 2018.
Appreciate 0