08-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #3495
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So, if vetted to own and operate a restricted firearm, can that person utilize the firearm to protect themselves (self defence) in the event of a break in whilst in their home?

What about non-restricted firearms? You noted that you cannot discharge them on your property. If licensed to own a restricted firearm, can you utilize it for self defence within your home?
So it's a bit tricky really. The short answer is no. Especially for restricted as in the course they teach you the ONLY reason to own a restricted firearm is for shooting or for work, which is why you need to be part of a club.

I remember having this discussion with someone and had found article but I don't remember the context... the basic Candian self defence law, not firearm related, is you can defend yourself using equal force/reasonable force and I believe it must be last resort. So like if someone comes in my house with a knife, I must try to escape and if my only option is to fight him out to escape then you could use a knife as well.

If you bring firearms in this, I guess if someone assault you with a restricted you still couldn't technically use a restricted back but a non restricted I think would apply and be legal. But again, kinda as a last resort.

It's really fucking complicated eh? I might be doing mistakes but this is the way I understand it.
Appreciate 0