View Single Post
      06-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I finally got the notice in the car (and then the phone) for the OTA update on a quick lunch time errand to the post office and back. Since I have the ConnectedDrive app to only download upgrades over WiFi that took place once I was back at the house. If memory serves the download was about 217MB and took 30 seconds or less to pull down. Then I got a prompt to connect the phone to the car WiFi in order to upload the upgrade to the car.

One lesson is that although once my Pixel was connected to the M850i's WiFi while parked in the garage with the engine off the ConnectedDrive app indicated the upload was in progress (it blinked the car icon as well). However, after way too long to upload 217MB and getting hot in the car with today's 95 degrees I started the car to kick in the AC. Well that actually kicked in the uploading to the car as well as the animation changed from just a blinking car to data transfer (represented in dots) and the car icon "filling" (1st picture).

So lesson learned the car needs to be running for the upgrade to be loaded from the phone. Even then it seemed to take a ridiculous amount of time for 217MB so I found that the progress can be monitored within iDrive (2nd picture). Once the upgrade is fully transferred you then get a prompt screen within iDrive to start the upgrade now or perform it later (3rd picture).

I missed getting a picture of the next screen after selecting to start the upgrade but basically it was a checklist including, key in the car, the car shut off, the car in Park, etc. but I was missing the parking brake on (somehow my Auto Hold) didn't recognize that with the car off so I just manually selected it which lit up all the check marks and moved to the next screen (4th picture) indicating the upgrade is eminent. Once the upgrade starts the iDrive screen is taken over with a progress indicator (5th picture).

The rest of the pictures are the release notes from the ConnectedDrive app. Caveat on the ConnectedDrive apps (I checked and DriveRecorder was missing, etc.) but they should download on my next drive or worse case the iDrive reboot option which will automatically pull them down in the process. A note for iOS users (I'm Android) as well as one specifically for our M8 brethren on how to handle the upgrade. Hope this helps anyone out there that also gets the 11/2019.70 OTA push.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0