06-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
As I was about to head off to the shops today, I received this rather serious message. No warning messages up until this point. I hope I don't have a coolant leak issue.

For the novices like me, there are two coolant reservoirs. Only open them once the engine is cold (suggest first thing in the morning). You can see from my photos both were below low. Inside the tanks you can see the plastic low/high level guide. Bring back the dip stick - so much easier than these things. Essentially you are trying to cover the low level of the yellow plastic tab with liquid but not the high level.

My car gulped down over a litre of coolant. The mixture is 50/50 genuine BMW Coolant / De-mineralised water.

In the good old days driving in country, you'd pull up at the servo and fuel up and ALWAYS check the radiator. Because it was hot and a lack of water in your radiator would often mean you were in for a long walk home.

These days in a our fancy cars, I've never thought to check the coolant. I can read the oil and fuels levels from the digital feeds into iDrive and BMW Connected. But not the coolant.

Anyway team, I just thought I would post this and perhaps prompt you to check your coolant.
Thanks for the update and definitely something for me to keep an eye on now that we're riding 110+ degree summer days. I never even thought to check the coolant prior to the drive to San Diego and back considering it is a 7 month old car. Live and learn and so grateful to the forum for the learning aspect!
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00