04-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
"The people don't want steering feel" is becoming a tired excuse coming from the bean-counters at BMW. I understand this on the cookie cutter lease special 330i's and X3's, but on M-cars of any number, it still pains me to think that a Mazda 3 or even a dated Lexus IS has better steering feel than any BMW. Its sad to see my favorite brand of 20+ years ignoring their laurels.
At least for the 3-series there shouldn't be any compromises. That's supposed to be the sport sedan that defines the segment.

Besides consumer tastes, automakers have found that steering "feel" doesn't help you corner any faster. Subjectively it's something we enthusiasts enjoy, but but dialing out pull drift/tramlining, steering sensitivity to road imperfections, etc. can make a car easier to drive fast. That's what Porsche has said. Porsche's EPS is still better than BMW but even then it leaves me feeling a bit cold. Unless you're hooning around the cars at high speeds they've also lost their visceral feeling.

On a side note, my daily IS is old and slow, but the steering transmits so much road feedback I really enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25134.50