View Single Post
      09-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #68
Forethat
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Is there anyway we can close this thread? I feel as thought people just want to fight with others instead of just providing great talking points. If you read the first page and half the second there are some really great points that I missed from others. I even appreciated their input. Like I said it was my thoughts after driving one for a few hundred miles and for those who one many provided great detail. Others just simple get offended, not once did I say anything about the choice they made, but some decided to get upset. Let's keep this from going further and close this one out... geeeshhh
No, what a tragedy. The one poster who’s spent the last couple of days insulting others, calling them liars, and behaving like a textbook schmuck by regularly taunting people for not having a cool and expensive car as himself, and on top of everything does it as if it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, is now moaning and whining as a little five-year-old girl with Hello Kitty nickers because someone gave him a proper justification as to exactly why they don’t want HIS car. And you want the thread closed? You couldn't make it up. Priceless.

I fully understand why you want this thread closed. Personally, I think you blew your cover and sealed the overall perception of yourself as a daft unknowledgeable dunce when you suggested that a 240 would be an alternative to someone who used an 840 for schoolruns and early morning training ferry service. And that using 840 instead of something as cool as your M8 was an idea that simply didn’t exist. Listen, the M8 is too firm. I don't want it because it would be shite at it. You still don’t get it, do you?

It’s always ugly when someone commits rhetorical and intellectual suicide, but you certainly managed to take it to new heights.

Quote:
1. Why did they make this car? I think they were simply trying to produce the cheapest 8 series possible with zero expectations.
I think they were trying to come up with a GT for customers that needed a comfortable car for long distances and an adult aproach to car ownership that doesn't mean they have to brag about their cars performance. Somehow, you’re thick enough to have missed that.

Quote:
2. Handles like a boat, really has more body role than the X3 M40i and is slower.
No it doesn’t handle like a boat. You simply haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about. You’re clueless. In fact, the handling and darting behaviour is one of things most often pointed out by reviewers. You missed that as well. It doesn't have the same handling as an M8, but why do I need that in a car that is being used for school runs and long motorway trips early mornings? It's not a sports car, it's a GT. To put things into perspective, your precious M8 is rolling like a boat in comparison with a Caterham, and your car is sold as if it WAS a sports car. With your lack of logic, I could ask why you didn't get yourself a Caterham instead of your M8? Huh!? Huh!? Huh!?

Quote:
3. That new larger touch screen looks like someone just turned the resolution to 150%. That is even after I looked to adjust font size etc.
The screen in M8 must be hugely different. *facepalm*

Quote:
4. The B58 engine is amazing and is tuned for good power delivery in this car, but it makes it feel fake. I guess all cars must have that small engine version.
No, all cars mustn’t have that small engine. It’s not small, but no, not all cars must have it.

Quote:
5. Listen I know some might say well I bought it for XXXX reasons.... They simply do not exist, I think about having a M240i for half the cost would have been killer compared to this boat. Or the new M2. I can't even justify this car due to cost because there are so many other options out there. Heck a used M850i if the style was the only thing you wanted.
I think you’d be better off if you simply didn’t give a flying toss about other people's cars. I know your type of mentality struggles with that idea, but accept the fact that you don’t have a clue why others opted for a different BMW than the one YOU think is the coolest BMW. Sure, I could buy an 840 with the V8, but I don’t need a V8 to take my child to swimming training. But to even suggest that I should buy a 240 and use it for long motorway trips at 5 a.m. with a teenager who wants to sleep shows me that you’re an idiot, plain and simple. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but I’m not like you who posted 3,200 comments on this forum to tell people how amazingly attractive your BMW is and eventually ran out of ideas to tell others how cool your BMW is and therefore decided to tell others how uncool their cars are. And yes, I can afford an M8, which isn't even an expensive car. Seriously, what a bunch of manure you spread here.

Quote:
6. Steering feels like its not connected to the car at all. It is loose and has not resistance at all, add that to the large amount of body roll and its a school bus.
The steering is dynamic and gets more responsive the more load it is subjected to. I know these are complex concepts for someone like yourself but a GT isn’t really a sports car where you’d want more connection.

Quote:
7. Braking is very weak for the heft of this ride as well. They heat soak very quickly. I know they didn't build this for a track car but I'm talking a slightly spirited drive out in the rural areas.
Braking in an 840 is great as long as you have the M-Sport package with the 395mm discs in the front. Yes, you WILL overheat the brakes if you drive the car on track, just as I overheat the brakes on my M5 F10 after 10 minutes on a track. The car is not built for track racing. You probably missed that.

Quote:
There are a few other things I'm not a huge fan of but not worth really going over it. And listen I know it this won't be a positive post, but I just have to be honest. I think about the overall cost of what you get here: 93k start and in the M440i you get the same equipment start at 63k and in such a better overall vehicle. Forget all the sports car stuff its just an overall better equipped ride in the M440i over the 840i.
Goodness me, you really don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, do you? Yes, an M440 is cheaper, and so is a Fiat Delivery Van. Why would I want a delivery van or a small sedan with a 150mm shorter wheelbase as a replacement for an 840? If I want to have fun driving I take my Vantage V12 out for a spin.

Now, make sure you report this post as spam. But for heaven's sake stop handing out advice regarding car purchases. The chances of getting decent advice from you are about as likely as tossing a Stradivarius violin to a mountain gorilla in Rwanda and expecting him to play Paganini's Violin Concerto No. 2 in B minor. It isn't happening.

Last edited by Forethat; 09-30-2023 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Seaford1152.00