Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
That's my point exactly. If the Nikon were $100 less, I'd buy it. Put the money into something that matters, which is glass, memory cards, a tripod, speed light, etc.

I don't want to be rude, but I need to emphatically state the camera body itself, given the two you are considering (they're both great), doesn't make one damn bit of difference. If you said XTi or D3x? Big difference. Put on a blindfold and see what you like. What feels better in your hand? Which has a better layout of controls. The control layout is FAR more important than a megapixel count, af whatever, buffer whatever, etc. A photographer takes his equipment and makes images. A gear masturbator spends endless hours deciding A or B. Shit, buy C, but go take pics.

You said you're a beginner. Both cameras have the most important features for a beginner: Manual mode and a shutter release. Pick one based on balance and feel (blindfold yourself), then go take 1000's of pics. If you really want something to compare, look at what it takes to change whitebalance, ISO and to a lesser extent, pic size/quality. You'll change these more than anything in the camera, so make sure it's easy to use.

My $.02? Get the cheaper one, and put the money in glass. Glass matters, the body...not so much.

you don't sound rude. you are absolutely right as far as not making much of a difference. I did not know before you told me that it's the lenses that make the difference. I was checking out ebay and they have deals with the body with like 3 or 4 lenses but i realized they weren't "canon" or "nikon" brand lenses and i was iffy about that. You made me realize that the extra hundred bucks i can buy a memory card that it does not come with or put it toward a new lense (or "glass" as you pros say). haha. But you're right. I need to mess around with both of them to see which one is easier for me to use. Appreciate the straight up info. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0