View Single Post
      11-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
I appreciate the info, but that doesn't help me pick which one. lol. It'll then boil down to things like .... "hmmm the canon comes in silver as well... and andre agassi used to be sponsored by canon...and the canon xti runs about 100 bucks more than the d40x so that must mean it's a better camera, etc...

And I don't want to resort to thinking that way. lol
That's my point exactly. If the Nikon were $100 less, I'd buy it. Put the money into something that matters, which is glass, memory cards, a tripod, speed light, etc.

I don't want to be rude, but I need to emphatically state the camera body itself, given the two you are considering (they're both great), doesn't make one damn bit of difference. If you said XTi or D3x? Big difference. Put on a blindfold and see what you like. What feels better in your hand? Which has a better layout of controls. The control layout is FAR more important than a megapixel count, af whatever, buffer whatever, etc. A photographer takes his equipment and makes images. A gear masturbator spends endless hours deciding A or B. Shit, buy C, but go take pics.

You said you're a beginner. Both cameras have the most important features for a beginner: Manual mode and a shutter release. Pick one based on balance and feel (blindfold yourself), then go take 1000's of pics. If you really want something to compare, look at what it takes to change whitebalance, ISO and to a lesser extent, pic size/quality. You'll change these more than anything in the camera, so make sure it's easy to use.

My $.02? Get the cheaper one, and put the money in glass. Glass matters, the body...not so much.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0