View Single Post
      04-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The Autonomous Future

In the April issue of Automobile Magazine Jamie Kitman wrote on the topic of the future when cars have become autonomous and there are no longer drivers, just passengers. He sees it, I think correctly, where the Telecom companies will see to it that they take the act of driving out of the automobile for the purposes of increasing their data-use/data mining market (i.e. redirect the time used to focus on driving to Googling). And what company is leading the trend on the driverless car? Google of course.

Kitman says the Taxpayer funded automation of the roads and cars will be justified by the Government on safety, efficiency, and environment preservation, which again he is right; money Kitman thinks should be used to solve global warming and feeding the hungry.

The liberal crap aside, I got to thinking what enthusiasts thought about the autonomous future. Is it really possible from an engineering standpoint? Is it really fundable with Taxpayer dollars? How do you feel about it? When do you think it will happen? Etc.

It is an interesting topic to think about
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0